1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

'92 W250 Skyjacker 6" lift question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 W250 Skyjacker 6" lift question

Hey Guys,
I posted this question over in the new diesel owners section as well. But I'm having an issue with my Dodge since installing my lift kit. I bought my truck last year and been steadily working on some things for it. Had the injection pump rebuilt and tuned to go along with the POD injectors I put in it. It still has the stock turbo, tranny, etc. Just put a 6" Skyjacker softride lift kit on it last week. Got everything all done and in place. Trying to bolt up the front driveshaft and it won't connect to the pumpkin because the shaft is hitting on part of the crossmember that comes down off the top side of the frame rail down to the main crossmember section. I tried to fab a lowering kit to drop the whole crossmember assembly down 2" but it's still hitting and causing all sorts of linkage issues. So I took that back off and bolted it back up the way it was before. At this point I'm stuck with a 2wd truck. Any suggestions on what else I can do to make this work out? The only other option I could think of is to drop the crossmember back down and put a spacer between the crossmember and tranny to raise the tranny/t-case and everything back in it's original location and move the crossmember out of the way. Just wondering if anyone else has a similar truck with the same size lift and could give me some helpful hints, tips, advise. At this point I feel like I'm beating my head on the wall. Thanks for all the help guys.

Gus

Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you post some pics of what ur incountering?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

With 6" lift I would definitely not be using the stock DS anyway. The stock 7260 front joint is marginal at best, and would likely be totally unsuitable at that angle. Best solution if you are not sure, would be take it to a driveline shop and have them fab up a whole new front shaft/CV/yoke of the proper length that works. 1350 fr joint minimum. Don't fuss with the crossmember drop stuff - bad idea.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

How much does it hit by?

I would call skyjacker and ask there advice.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 PM
Diesel Fan

It already has a CV joint on the front, but I'll snap some pics and it'll better illustrate the issues I'm facing. That should help to clarify, but it hits by a good bit. I don't think there's any option to remake the driveshaft to make it clear the obstruction. Be back in a bit to post some of the pics.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Here are some pics of the problem.

Name:  Dodge_11.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  150.1 KB

Name:  Dodge_12.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  155.0 KB

Name:  Dodge_13.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  Dodge_14.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  149.3 KB

Thanks for any and all help guys, but based on what I'm seeing, doesn't seem like another CV is going to help, it's already got one. I guess I'll be trying to call Skyjacker tomorrow to see what they have to say. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by 92W250; 10-15-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

i think if i were you i'd give the underneath of that pickup a nice bath or have someone detail it, and yeah you definitely need to call skyjacker they'll be able to help i'm sure

Old 10-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Diesel Fan

The rear main is leaking, and has been, waiting to do the convertor for the tranny to replace it. Then it'll be time to pressure wash the whole underneath. It makes for a real mess anytime I have to work on it for sure. Hopefully they'll have some good advise when I call them. Thanks again guys.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

From what I can see in the pics, it looks like you're going to end up having to have a custom crossmember made that will allow your driveshaft some room to move.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Diesel Fan

That's what I was worried about. If that's the case, it'll have to wait until I get my welder and torches up here, I'll be cutting away what's in the way and reinforcing where needed. I certainly miss the simplicity of the crossmember on my CJ. A few pieces of 2x2 box tubing

Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts

My CJ is still pretty much all stock...much simpler that way. My XJ on the other hand is far from it. If you've got decent fab skills, you should be able to come up with something that will give you the clearance you need. I've never been a big fan of crossmember/transfer case drops anyway.
Something else I'd check, is that your driveshafts have enough travel so as not to overextend them and cause problems when the suspension droops. I've seen more than one of them come apart.

Quick Reply: '92 W250 Skyjacker 6" lift question