1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

'92 W250 Skyjacker 6" lift question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

your drive shaft does have a CV joint or double cardigan (heard it called that once before) but this style of joint is limited to angles. if you notice the center body will come into contact with "flanges" that are on the actual shafts yoke. get rid of these and it'll be allowed to work at a sharper angle, as for your cross member; i'd get a piece of 3" tube cut it in half and notch the member. it'll look pretty professional and of course you'll have to reinforce it b/c exh tubing or w/e you use isnt going to have the same rigidity.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Hook teh shaft up (looks like its gonna be a little short) the jack up the front end by the frame so that the axle drops. Do this slow and watch to see how how bad it hits. Also check to see what condition your tranny mount bushings are in. The ones on my 89 were all but gone! After checking all this take a grinder and modify the cross member as needed.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

The front DS ends up being too short with just 2" of lift. It probably won't reach at all in this case. I know, I know, everyone out there has done it, right? But I bet they haven't got traction with it under load yet either. Plus it'll vibrate like a SOB running in 4WD if there's not enough spline engaged.

The following users liked this post:
RSWORDS (10-16-2009)
Old 10-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by NadirPoint
The front DS ends up being too short with just 2" of lift. It probably won't reach at all in this case. I know, I know, everyone out there has done it, right? But I bet they haven't got traction with it under load yet either. Plus it'll vibrate like a SOB running in 4WD if there's not enough spline engaged.
even stock ride height if you have any kind of mileage on the front shaft there's plenty of wobble

Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lengthwise the shaft will reach, it's the trouble of the angle it connects at is hitting the cross member before it allows it to drop down far enough to connect to the yoke. Thanks for all the good ideas so far, and yes, I'm a pretty good fabricator, just don't have my torches, welder, grinders, etc here at my apartment. Once I move to my house I'll have all that stuff and the facilities to work on it. I guess for now I'll just have to take the shaft out and let it run around in 2wd. Also, I'm not the type that takes my DD offroading, the only reason I have 4wd is if I need it towing the trailer off the paved roads and such, otherwise it won't be seeing much 4wd use. If I want to go play offroad that's what the Jeep on 2.5 tons is for Thanks again for the help guys. I was hoping to hear from someone with the same truck and similar lift to see what they did. I'll be calling skyjacker shortly to see what they recommend. I'll post what they advise and let you guys know what the final outcome is.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Diesel Fan

So what did you end up doing? I'm facing the exact same problem right now on my 91 w250!!! Lemme know as soon as you can, thanks.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Diesel Fan

I still never could get a resolution from Skyjacker themselves, I've emailed their tech guy multiple times again with no reply. I think my fix is going to be to cut out a section with the torch and reinforce the crossmember. Most likely going to make a nice circular cut from the front edge of the crossmember where the two pieces come together. Then weld some plating back onto the crossmember itself. That's the simplest solution I can think up.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Diesel Fan

Ya I have had the same problem with skyjacker just ignoring me and the problem. i am going to do the same thing with the crossmember i think.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Diesel Fan

Good luck on it, I'm going to try and get mine done over the holiday break I think. I need to rebuild the ujoints in my d-shaft while I'm at it, so I'll post some pics of what I do when it's all done.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wish i had that lift

Quick Reply: '92 W250 Skyjacker 6" lift question