1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

more fuel at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so would you have to buy the fuel line seperate, or does it come with the lift pump, OR could a person use the fuel line off the stock lift pump for 1st gens.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

The fuel line is a seperate part from the lift pump; the part numbers for both of them are on the picture above. You can't reuse the stock line.

As has been said, you want a second-gen pump for the larger bore; you can either put a low-pressure spring in it or use a regulator.

I used a flare fitting to go from the lift pump outlet to a flexible steel line, ran that steel line to an external-mount filter, then used another flexible steel line to go from the filter to a flare off the injection pump; I don't have a banjo fitting in my system anymore. (Except the return...)

It's a good idea to put a finny cooler in the system somewhere while you're redesigning the system.

If the pressure drop is across the filter, then you don't have enough filter capacity and more pump pressure will just be a band-aid. You need to go to a bigger filter.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

i get all my parts like that from gateway auto supply(Napa) would they have bigger filters and fuel lines.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also will the second gen. pump just work when you bolt it up or do i have to add something so it won't over pump fuel.

Last edited by DieselPerformanceGuy; 10-18-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I cant believe you guys are seeing 15psi.Ive replaced a few lift pumps and they all show 7psi at the filter.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:41 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

&psi is right for a stock 1st gen lift pump, they are using 2nd gen lift pumps and either a regulator or a low pressure spring.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

where do you get a regulater or low pressure sprind at.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

what is normal for stock pump and lines with napa filter i see 6psi at idle 7 at 1/3 and then it drops

Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Dont reuse the stock fuel lines they are way to small for any type of performance upgrades! Ill include some pics of what I did. But if you notice on the draw straw I made it from stuff you can get at the hardware store I made mine for less than $10 bucks. I used a pice of 1/2" pcv pipe a bulk head fitting for like a drum and two brass fittings I had in the garage. The filter head is a OEM cummins part It uses a WIX#51607 Fuel filter(notice there are two ball valves at each end so just close them off before you take the filter off and fill up ur filter w/ fuel or additive put ur filter back on and open valves no need to bleed system) It was only $30 bucks for the filter head and the ball valves. Then I ordered the 1/2" fitting from Vulcan Performance I think it was like $20.00 after shipping cant really remember. Then about 12feet of 1/2" fuel hose. I also put a pice of 3/8" hose for the return line and T'd it into the filler neck hose. I just took my Piston lift pump W/ me to the hard ware and found 1/2" brass fittings that screwed into the inlet and return ports, So I think I have about the least restrictive high flowing fuel system you can get on a first gen. Absolutly no fuel starving issues at WOT. There is alot more get up and go!!! Hope this helps ya!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails more fuel at WOT-draw-straw.jpg   more fuel at WOT-drawstraw2.jpg   more fuel at WOT-ip-fitting.jpg   more fuel at WOT-filter-head.jpg  
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DieselPerformanceGuy
where do you get a regulater or low pressure sprind at.
You have to buy a piston lift pump for a 2nd gen 12valve truck Such as part#73104(Airtex Brand) And swap the spring out of the low pressure piston pump Such as part#3936320(OEM Cummins Brand) The low pressure unit is for like agriculturel applications like tractors and road equipment bull dozers, backhoes, stuff like that. Scour the salvage yards and see what you can find first, thats what I did a used piston pump is nothin to worry about IMO the last darn near forever. If you do this no extra plubing for the regulator and you dont have to worry bout an electrical part goin bad and leavin ya stranded if you go with a electric pump.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

alright so i just bought a second gen. piston pump form Gateway auto supply the brand of the pump is CARTER and it didn't have a spacer, and i need the fuel line too, i'm stumped.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Or could i make a fuel line.

Last edited by DieselPerformanceGuy; 10-19-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: more fuel at WOT