1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 338 Likes on 289 Posts

still dont think it will work but good luck trying

Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselPerformanceGuy
alright so diesels are supposed tosmoke right, well most of the new ones don't stock but on any diesel the more fuel the more smoke the more power, well my friend whos only 16, says that black smoke is bad and it clags up your engines, i think that smoke cools the injectors nozzles to but any input would be great thanks.

P.S> another one of my friends says that turning in the full fuel screw about 4 turns will melt down the injector pump, i doubt this is true but any input again would be nice.
Q. alright so diesels are supposed tosmoke right
A. No

Q. but on any diesel the more fuel the more smoke the more power,

A. not completely true if you smoke you are not burning the fule the (sweet spot) is lots of fule with the right air mix and NO smoke

Q. well my friend whos only 16, says that black smoke is bad and it clags up your engines,
A. hes 16

Q. i think that smoke cools the injectors nozzles
A. no its the fule in the injectors that cools them that and the engine coolent and turbo air

Q. another one of my friends says that turning in the full fuel screw about 4 turns will melt down the injector pump,

A. no throw it in a fire to melt it....

Old 09-30-2009, 01:24 AM
BOMBARDIER

well put

Old 09-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Site Sponsor
Received 636 Likes on 254 Posts

thanks only correct info is good info

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by Richie O
Not unless you had a twin disk clutch. I don't think a single is going to hold one back if you dumped it. I would bet it would eat the disk. I would definatly give it a try.
either way your gonna break **** use a phone book or a wood block the best is a 5x5 peice of mudflap jb welded to a 4x4x2

Last edited by big bad diesel 416; 09-30-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by big bad diesel 416
Q. alright so diesels are supposed tosmoke right
A. No

Q. but on any diesel the more fuel the more smoke the more power,

A. not completely true if you smoke you are not burning the fule the (sweet spot) is lots of fule with the right air mix and NO smoke

Q. well my friend whos only 16, says that black smoke is bad and it clags up your engines,
A. hes 16

Q. i think that smoke cools the injectors nozzles
A. no its the fule in the injectors that cools them that and the engine coolent and turbo air

Q. another one of my friends says that turning in the full fuel screw about 4 turns will melt down the injector pump,

A. no throw it in a fire to melt it....

i resent the 16 remark... i know alot more now than i ever did when i was 16; but i dont believe i was that nieve, gotta start somewhere even if its with the wrong info... as long as you arent an arrogant and pompus little jack*** like most 16 year olds are and can be told and listen to the correct info then everythings good other than that... pumps dont melt down; pistons do. fuel cools; cold charge air keeps cylinder temps down and the one part of the engine that DOES like to melt; the piston from actually melting... sooo yeah big bad pretty much summed it all up

diesels arent supposed to smoke but the problem is; in order to get the ammount of fuel you need for more power when boost is present tends to result in heavy low boost fueling... WOT at the highest charge air pressures its acceptable to "haze" slightly. this is where the "sweet spot" is

also big bad... if you throw a perfectly good pump in the fire i'm pretty sure i'd have to and when dealing with a run away... cutting off the air or a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher is the only route to go... dont tear more **** up while your trying to prevent that... anywhere past 3 turn ont he full fuel is where it tends to hang in RPM's.... almost **** a brick, gave it a turn plus half a turn and snapped the throttle and it decided to hang and then come back down... i hurried up and back it off 1/2 a turn

Last edited by tower_ofpower; 09-30-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2009, 09:41 AM
BOMBARDIER

also well put

Old 09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

that about sums it up

Old 09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
i resent the 16 remark... i know alot more now than i ever did when i was 16; but i dont believe i was that nieve, gotta start somewhere even if its with the wrong info... as long as you arent an arrogant and pompus little jack*** like most 16 year olds are and can be told and listen to the correct info then everythings good other than that... pumps dont melt down; pistons do. fuel cools; cold charge air keeps cylinder temps down and the one part of the engine that DOES like to melt; the piston from actually melting... sooo yeah big bad pretty much summed it all up

diesels arent supposed to smoke but the problem is; in order to get the ammount of fuel you need for more power when boost is present tends to result in heavy low boost fueling... WOT at the highest charge air pressures its acceptable to "haze" slightly. this is where the "sweet spot" is

also big bad... if you throw a perfectly good pump in the fire i'm pretty sure i'd have to and when dealing with a run away... cutting off the air or a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher is the only route to go... dont tear more **** up while your trying to prevent that... anywhere past 3 turn ont he full fuel is where it tends to hang in RPM's.... almost **** a brick, gave it a turn plus half a turn and snapped the throttle and it decided to hang and then come back down... i hurried up and back it off 1/2 a turn

Exactly!

Alright i guess i don't know anything and i need to be quiet but thanks for the input.

Last edited by DieselPerformanceGuy; 09-30-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 AM
BOMBARDIER

the way i see it, if ya dont ask, u wont know most on here dont mind giving some advice

Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Received 340 Likes on 273 Posts

thats why i like this site

Quick Reply: smoke?