1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

95 prospector 1/2 ton 4bt front axel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.007" is within the .004-.009 factory spec!thats why theres no thud.Are you reading this?Ive got .015".

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 371 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by stillcummin
.007" is within the .004-.009 factory spec!thats why theres no thud.Are you reading this?Ive got .015".
dude.....calm down.....dont get nasty on here or you are just asking for trouble.....

Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

.007 is within their specs of .004-.009 but there is a .006 tolerance... at .015 your JUST at the upper limit of the tolerance, if your so worried about it and have the correct tools, then switch some shims around. move the carrier side to side, it'll change the backlash, and your heel/toe pattern which probably wont be a bad thing. since you have the dial indicator set it ou the housing and measure the run out of the ring gear, at the point with the most run out (closer to the pinion) mark it and roll it around to where it'd make contact with the pinon, THEN check your backlash... you can have .015 at one point, and if your run out is .004 you can have .011 at the closest point. so the run out is critical b/c if you have .004 backlash with .004 run out then your eliminating tolerances and running WAYYYY tight. point is... check run out and then mark it and roll it around to the pinion and then check your backlash, it may change.plus engagement in the front will be abit sloppier than the rear, it has to transfer the torque from the transmission thru the belt link chain, down your from prop shaft (which will more than likely have slack in your double cardigan joint and slip joint then to your axle... probablility of harsh engagement, isn't really likely. let me know if you followed everything i said or if i lost ya

The following users liked this post:
LOGANSTANFORTH (07-23-2009)
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 AM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
.007 is within their specs of .004-.009 but there is a .006 tolerance... at .015 your JUST at the upper limit of the tolerance, if your so worried about it and have the correct tools, then switch some shims around. move the carrier side to side, it'll change the backlash, and your heel/toe pattern which probably wont be a bad thing. since you have the dial indicator set it ou the housing and measure the run out of the ring gear, at the point with the most run out (closer to the pinion) mark it and roll it around to where it'd make contact with the pinon, THEN check your backlash... you can have .015 at one point, and if your run out is .004 you can have .011 at the closest point. so the run out is critical b/c if you have .004 backlash with .004 run out then your eliminating tolerances and running WAYYYY tight. point is... check run out and then mark it and roll it around to the pinion and then check your backlash, it may change.plus engagement in the front will be abit sloppier than the rear, it has to transfer the torque from the transmission thru the belt link chain, down your from prop shaft (which will more than likely have slack in your double cardigan joint and slip joint then to your axle... probablility of harsh engagement, isn't really likely. let me know if you followed everything i said or if i lost ya

Schultz??? or what teacher......I had him then Nidifer for Hi-Po drivelines......both had some insane stories......

Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

never had either of them, i was strictly diesel. only time i went back to fairy land was for s&s, and two gen ed classes. and pretty much all of the instructors have some pretty crazy stories. most of that info there is self learned through reading, and then got some instructional; theory of operations from class and practice in heavy drive trains, and then the whole travel of torque is just me knowing how my 84 was and being all too familiar with that damn front drive shaft.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Diesel Bomber

Nidifer used to drive a chevy van around when he was a student at UNOH that they heated it with a kerosene heater they sheetmetal screwed to the floor.......