Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/)
-   -   95 prospector 1/2 ton 4bt front axel (https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generation-dodge-cummins-89-93/29520-95-prospector-1-2-ton-4bt-front-axel.html)

stillcummin 07-19-2009 05:48 PM

95 prospector 1/2 ton 4bt front axel

Im putting a matching gear set in the front dana 44, to match the rear 3.55.Ive got my pinion depth set right,but im worried about the backlash of .015".Manual says spec is .004"-.009".I was wondering if anyone thinks this will be to loud when engaging?

tower_ofpower 07-20-2009 01:24 AM

the spec is .004-.009 with a .006 tolerance + or - your backlash at the deepest mesh. according to factory your just fine, but there will be a slight noise, nothing anyone or yourself will cringe over.:U:

LOGANSTANFORTH 07-20-2009 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 367065)
the spec is .004-.009 with a .006 tolerance + or - your backlash at the deepest mesh. according to factory your just fine, but there will be a slight noise, nothing anyone or yourself will cringe over.:U:

yeah its going to make a little loud until it wears in, its always good to set new parts up just a hair tight cause wear will loosen them up.....

stillcummin 07-20-2009 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 367065)

where does this info come form?My factory manual doesnt say that.

LOGANSTANFORTH 07-20-2009 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by stillcummin (Post 367082)
where does this info come form?My factory manual doesnt say that.

not the owners manual, a factory service manual or possibly a haines...

stillcummin 07-20-2009 05:38 PM

I have 2 different "factory" chrysler service manuals,and thats not in there!please dont tell me your making this up.who said service manual anyways?

tower_ofpower 07-20-2009 09:08 PM

not making it up, i recently graduated from the univeristy of northwestern ohio. at the college we had axcess to "all data" and "mitchel on demand". when i was running around with my gasser i blew apart the chrysler 9 1/4 and rebuild it with a set of richmond gears and a LSD. the online manuals said that there is a .006 tolerance from the spec. i can't remember where i had mine set at but it was more torwards .007 backlash and the rear was quite as could be, no harsh engagement or thud.

At any rate maybe that "newbie" status will disappear... makes my credibility kinda iffy... yes, i'm young and fresh out of college but if i'm listening i soak it all up. :tttt:

LOGANSTANFORTH 07-21-2009 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 367391)
not making it up, i recently graduated from the univeristy of northwestern ohio. at the college we had axcess to "all data" and "mitchel on demand". when i was running around with my gasser i blew apart the chrysler 9 1/4 and rebuild it with a set of richmond gears and a LSD. the online manuals said that there is a .006 tolerance from the spec. i can't remember where i had mine set at but it was more torwards .007 backlash and the rear was quite as could be, no harsh engagement or thud.

At any rate maybe that "newbie" status will disappear... makes my credibility kinda iffy... yes, i'm young and fresh out of college but if i'm listening i soak it all up. :tttt:

glad too see another graduate here, August 07 here, im glad you got to set them up cause i brought in my buddies 1997 1/2 ton and they didnt have the tools to do the newer rearends, just the older style......

RSWORDS 07-21-2009 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower (Post 367391)

post count means nothing around here... look at how many I have and I dont know my ass from a hole in teh ground :D

tower_ofpower 07-21-2009 07:17 PM

well rs, if you dont know your ass from a hole in the ground, and people fall into holes... does that mean people fall into your ass often? :humm::w2: and logan your alum from UNOH? heh... small world