1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Truck Running hot. What Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Truck Running hot. What Turbo?

Bobby and all any other of our members here: So with the issue I have been experiencing with my high heat levels (1100 EGT's, Engine Temps over 235) pulling 7-tons of 5th wheel up hill, w/16cm housing on stock turbo on my G1 engine, what turbo would you recommend I try to find for that upgrade please? And how much benefit should I expect from that alone?

Thank you

Old 06-08-2009, 01:07 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 918 Likes on 537 Posts

Well If you can run up a hill with your 5th wheel behind you and only get 1100* then thats not to bad! What kind of fueling mods do you have and what are your boost pressures? I'll bet the engine temp rising is a result of it getting heat soaked by the intercooler. The air flowwing into your grill first flows through the intercooler and heats up as it takes teh heat from your intake charge then it hits your radiator. So instead of fresh col air getting to your radiator your picking shoving hot air into it from the intercooler. Make sence? A good turbo will help this issue somewhat, If all your doing is towing there is no reason a super HX40 with a 16cm housing would not help. Also you could look into a 62/65 S300. I do have a buddy running the Edge Jammer on his truck that he got from GDS. He just towed about 14,000lbs from alaske to VA and said the turbo was AWESOME! no temp problems at all.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by RSWORDS
Well If you can run up a hill with your 5th wheel behind you and only get 1100* then thats not to bad! What kind of fueling mods do you have and what are your boost pressures? I'll bet the engine temp rising is a result of it getting heat soaked by the intercooler. The air flowwing into your grill first flows through the intercooler and heats up as it takes teh heat from your intake charge then it hits your radiator. So instead of fresh col air getting to your radiator your picking shoving hot air into it from the intercooler. Make sence? A good turbo will help this issue somewhat, If all your doing is towing there is no reason a super HX40 with a 16cm housing would not help. Also you could look into a 62/65 S300. I do have a buddy running the Edge Jammer on his truck that he got from GDS. He just towed about 14,000lbs from alaske to VA and said the turbo was AWESOME! no temp problems at all.
Bobby, as to my fuel mods, I only have the Lucas POD injectors. And yes sir, indeed your explanation of the hot air being pushed into the Radiator from the intercooler makes perfect sense. My boost pressures on the climbs are between 18-22 lbs. I will start looking around for a 62/65 S300 as you suggested. Bobby, I really feel I am so close to having this rig do what I need it to, as to pulling this 14K RV up hill, so perhaps that Turbine really should be my next phase?

Thank you

Last edited by x2be1; 06-08-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added to many extra words
Old 06-08-2009, 01:51 PM
BOMBARDIER

I looked on the GDS website and didn't see that Jammer Turbo anymore. Its a shame it was a hell of a steal... Like $650 for a ball bearing turbo.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
BOMBARDIER

A good cleaning and flush of the cooling system might be in order too.

Is you pyro pre or post turbo?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked on the GDS website and didn't see that Jammer Turbo anymore. Its a shame it was a hell of a steal... Like $650 for a ball bearing turbo.
Yeah, I know. I was going to get it. I got an HE351 coming instead.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Question

Well actually, The current radiator in this Gen2 body is the original out of my Gen1 truck as I transferred the entire power plant and drive train system from one truck to the other. The radiator I had re-cored and re-tanked all new but the Radiator Shop expert for me had to actually cut it down a bit in order for it to fit in the older truck. I am wondering if I may benefit by finding myself a radiator actually designed for a G2 body for the 6BT Cummins though. What do you all think?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
BOMBARDIER

maybe, it might be thicker. You should probably look into what cummins deems acceptable for engine temps. There is really not alot you can do about the heat soak from the intercooler.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Diesel Fan
Question

Bobby, I missed this question of your's: I am post Turbo on the Pyro readings. Should I get another and install it "Pre" Turbo?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 504 Likes on 412 Posts

I would, Post turbo could be off 2-300 degrees. That would put your temps up there pretty good

Quick Reply: Truck Running hot. What Turbo?