1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Speedometer and VSS questions-

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Speedometer and VSS questions-

On the first gen VSS's, is the dark (blue/black) wire in the VSS harness a ground? Sending my Speedo head to be rebuilt and wanted to make sure that all my other stuff was correct from there. Also, the, aw, hell, I don't know what its called, the thing that the VSS plugs into on the transmission, (the widget that holds the gears for the speedo and appears to just be a press fit into the rear part of the transmission (2wd Getrag) ... well, my old friend, the previous owner, seems to have stripped the ends of the shaft. I'm wondering, where do I find one of these or, can I just "shorten" the stripped end with a little judicious file work, then shorten the drive shaft on the VSS a similar amount? Seems to have plenty of good thread, the VSS bolt just isn't long enough to get to it? And I know I've seen the answer to this, but I can't find it, this thing that presses into the back of the transmission, whats the best way to get it out and when I reinstall it, how do I index it so that the gears index correctly in the transmission case?

Sorry that I don't have the right words for half of this stuff, and I do not seem to have gotten any sort of a reduction unit between the VSS and the pressed in widget on the transmission that I don't know the name of...

Thanks for your help-
Cree