1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

new lift pump suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new lift pump suggestions

hey guys got a question. I have a 1993 cummins. bone stock 245k and idk if the injector pump has been rebuilt or not. the truck lacks, how do I say, ***** when towing. I have an 1100lb flatbed trailer and tow a 3500lb car and its a pig. granted its an auto and the torque converter really doesn't grab but I think I need a lift pump runs fine but definitely has a lag off the line. it embarrassing to have a Honda civic run around me at a light

now to get to the point. I have heard a lot about the cummins low pressure piston lift pump running at 15psi and I think its a little high for my stock pump with god knows how many miles on it and I heard the stock pumps are crap. now I heard the Delphi lift pump is kind of an in between the two. now my question is what pump do I go with that wont blow up my injector pump and leave me stranded somewhere.

is the cummins pump really two strong? I have no mods and really don't plan on doing much unless it can bump up my mileage. I get about 18 on the highway empty 10-13 around town and 12-15 on the highway towing at 65 70.

any help would be great as I am confused as hell at this point

Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turning up the fuel screw without playing with your smoke screw will net you pretty decent power, not much smoke, and a bit better fuel economy. The reason for all the lag is the 21cm housing on the stock turbo (swapping to a 16cm turbine housing would give an improvement on spool up which would give you more torque to play with without sacrificing fuel economy) for the lift pump I haven't had any issues with the mechanical one (replaced the stock one year before last because the old one was leaking but it's held up to my fuelling upgrades just fine) most aftermarket lift pumps are adjustable for fuel pressure so if you do go that route just make sure it's an adjustable one

Old 04-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Set Of Gauges Should be done before doing any mods or turning up the fuel. Good way to burn a engine up

EGT, Boost, Trans Temp are a good start

Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Diesel Fan

well cash is beyond slim at the moment so new turbos and bigger exhaust and stuff is way out of the budget at the moment. i have to redo my rear brakes soon and I know between wheel cylinders and shoes there goes a couple of hundred alone. the reason I want to do a lift pump is that everyone keeps saying that under load a worn pump can cause my fuel pressure to go down to 0psi and that worries me. I don't mind doing a fuel pressure gauge just don't know how or what. but I am worried that my fuel pressure is low and i think the dlphi pump is better than a stock pump and not as crazy as a real cummins one. also everyone says there trucks are much peppier after a new one so that's the direction i am headed in but i need someone to say go here or there.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

come on guys some one has to have an answer for me. I just want to know which of the three pumps out there to use

Last edited by bigrigpardo; 04-06-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM

It sound to me like you've already recieved some solid advice here. Dman pointed out that it's probably the exhaust housing size which is creating your lag not your lift pump. I tend to agree. It doesnt sound as though you've done anything significant to run that lift pump too hard and down to 0 psi. This is more of a problem with moderate to heavily modded engines. I think at this point you would benefit more from sticking that $ elswhere like the already suggested guages/smaller exhaust housing.
Also do a search for mods to ve pump, and a lot of power can be made fairly easily, especially if you do the research first, and take your time to await the good deals.
If it were me I'd do guages,and search for, ve pump tweaking, BHAF, muffler delete. This is all cheap or free and will be a good start. If its still too laggy then probably an exhaust housing is needed at minimum. I however feel that for the cost its better to wait for a good deal on a used turbo and upgrade for later fuel mods, believe me when I tell you that this will get fun and addictive. Good luck man search is your best friend for making that 93 a great truck for fun and/or a towing powerhouse.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Diesel Fan

ok so then I guess what I really should do is a fuel pressure gauge. that will tell me if I need a lift pump and keep me sane when thinking of an injector pump rebuild. so were do I go from here. what fuel gauge do I use and were do I hook it up. is there a kit and who sells a gauge pod for the a pillar on these trucks.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Autometer sells 1 and 2 pod partial a pillar pods for 1st gens. Puredieselpower.com is where I got mine from

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

And a smaller turbine housing is just a little over $200 and fuel pressure gauges are between 140 and 210 dollars

Last edited by DMan1198; 04-07-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost