1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Cummins Won't Shut Off (Yep Another One)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins Won't Shut Off (Yep Another One)

I've read over a bunch of these posts and have been doing the good ole process of elimination.

I recently bought this truck and the owner said it needs some $30 switch in order to shut it off from the column again.

So far, I pulled the fuel shut-off solenoid to check the plunger and ran a current through it to make sure its engaging. The shut off solenoid is good, but the wire going to it is not sending power. So I just ran a straight hot-wire from the battery, but it still did not shut the engine off.

Does anyone have a large picture of the ignition shut off system? Or any ideas of what else to check (relays etc.)?

I've already read on the ole "pull cable" technique, but I just wanted to do it the right way. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I need some help - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Yes...the wire should connect to the ignition switch, when the key is on, you should have 12 volts at the FSS. When you pull your FSS, make sure the tip isn't lodged in there or broken off. under the FSS is a plunger and spring....
On, the FSS pulls the plunger out, so fuel can flow. Off, it releases and is pushed by the spring to close off fuel flow.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure that your battery in grounded to the rad support. we had that problem on my sons truck

Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a funny feeling when you turn the key to off, pull it out of the ignition, and nothing happens. Mine ended up being a bad ground.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Diesel Fan

For starters, I was messing with the wrong switch. I asked on another forum as well and realized I was checking the one alongside the side of the engine, when the right one is on top of the injection pump.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopars
For starters, I was messing with the wrong switch. I asked on another forum as well and realized I was checking the one alongside the side of the engine, when the right one is on top of the injection pump.
Gotta be careful with the electrical stuff and the mechanical stuff....don't know what your doing and you could be in for a world of hurt.
Like, don't go Barring the engine over, gonna set the valves with the switch off and the manual shutoff pushed in, she'll start on ya sometimes. Not a good feeling.
I was watching a runaway on UTube the other day, this Moron shoved a rag into the turbo and threw his hand over the turbo intake......You don't know how dangerous that was.
I always use a piece of thick plywood.
Just be extremely careful, we want ya here for a long time!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Diesel Fan

so just saying this happened to someone, what would be the safest way to shut the engine off? just stopping the fuel flow? im looking at getting one of these trucks and want to be prepared for it

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a lever on the pump that you push towards the rear of the truck and it kills it. In case of a runaway a 6x6 peice of wood over the turbo will shut it down