1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

mulitple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default mulitple questions

After i fixed the fuel leak ive been puzzled by a few other things the truck is doing.

1) my voltage gauge fluctuates when in park and driving. My lights flicker when it does. I can hit the slightest bump sometimes and both my temp and voltage gauges go haywire. The others stay the same and every light flickers badly. I figured it's a wiring gremlin but maybe someone had another suggestion.

2) my temp gauge goes from half way between the 2nd and 3rd small marks to halfway between the 3rd and 4th small marks while driving. At idle it stays exactly halfway on the gauge. Is this normal or at least ok? Full of antifreeze. Some deposits in the radiator that i can see.

3) i did a poor mans exhaust job consisting of a turn down, 45 degre bend, a foot of straight pipe, and a universal hanger bolted to the frame. I drove the truck afterwards and when siting stopped at a light i felt a vibration. It goes away in park and wh en driving. Plus the shut down shake is a little rougher. Is this the way i mounted the exhaust or do i have bigger problems?

4) when i turn sharpe to the left at low speeds like a parking lot i feel a vibration. This has happened before the exhaust. Any ideas?

I know if i did some diagnosing i could probably figured of these out but working 2 jobs 7 days a week i do dont get the chance to very often. Any help is appreciated

Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

1st might be voltage regulator. Also In my truck Ive had alot of problems with this one electrical conection it has one big wire coming off the battery and it goes into a rubber insulater and like 5 wires come out and it has been like the plague for me. it has caused may problems from no dash lights, fuel shut off, and recently it has fried my headlight switch, and its on the drivers side fender under the hood.

2nd my temp gauge does the same thing and it really bothers me and I have flushed the radiator and replaced the thermostat with no success. I'm also missing my fan shroud and I cant find one so I think thats my problem. But the truck has never over heated

3rd check your exhaust mount on your tranny

4th sounds like cv joints or tires maybe just avoid sharp turns and park in the back lot

Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish i could help more, but with the temp guage mine does the same thang. when i went to look at it before i bought it i drove it first and when returnin from test driving it i pulled up the PO's steep *** drive way and let it crawl in 1st gear no throttle and the temp needle moved about like you mentioned maybe a little farther, when i reached the top of the driveway it went back down to normal. I asked the PO if he has noticed that and he said that was normal he said it never overheated it would just go up so high and stop especially when he was pulling a loaded cattle trailer.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had hell with my factory temp guage. I put a mechanical one in after rodding the radiator, new water pump, radiator cap, and fan clutch. It still bounces back and forth but the aftermarket hold true, also a thermostat. Haha good luck