1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Real HP with 1st Gens

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real HP with 1st Gens

Ok I'm sure this has been covered before but thought I would see what kind of response I get.

How about a quick response on What HP are you getting with your first gen?

What modifications did you do to get that? (Details, parts, and adjustments etc)

I'm new to this and have already been frustrated trying to figure out the realistic numbers I should expect without breaking the bank. I'm currently rolling a stock motor however getting crap for gas mileage. I sometimes suspect that the power to weight ratio is off and i'm under-powered. Can never have too much right. I know this is very open ended but would be interested to know more about what others are doing. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Might try adding Automatic Tranny fluid or two cycle oil or Diesel Kleen by Power Service to your diesel, that should bring your mileage up some. A properly tuned injection pump will do wonders for your mileage too.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

https://www.dieselbombers.com/genera...-oil-info.html

My Dually has gotten 21 MPG ever since it was new, has not changed a lick, but its always been run on Farm Diesel till I got it and put the first shot of Diesel Clean in it. Had good luck with Diesel Kleen by Power Service before, it should serve me well, here you can get a 150 gallons worth of diesel mix for $16.88 at Walmart. That's cheap to keep your sulfur requiring injection pumps lubed properly. I think at least.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-04-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have never ran on a dyno but if you use the HP calculator with the time and speed i ran in an 1/8th mile i have around 320-345 or so.

i use 20 oz of two stroke boat motor oil in every tank

Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

The guy in that link I posted says to use 1oz to every gallon of diesel fuel. FYI.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get 13mpg in my '89 Dually with a 93 12v, if I'm lucky empty, tailwind and downhill. My '95 consistently got 22mpg empty. I have been pretty disappointed in my numbers. Since I"m still stock I have nothing to write home about for HP. Local guy wants more money than I can afford to have him build up the power. I will learn as I go heck I will have the front back in with new parts tonight, new seal etc.... Hate paying for something that I can probably do myself. Love this site learning a lot.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Turning up the pump is in the sticky and easy to do yourself but you want someone with a 2x6 board ready to shut down a run away engine when you turn up the pump, just in case. The manual fuel shut off is handy too but does not always do the trick if other problems arise while turning up the VE pump.

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...en-sticky.html

Here is a good pic and tell turning up the pump explantion and detail pic link.

How to turn up a VE pump, with pictures..... - Dodge Ram, Ramcharger, Cummins, Jeep, Durango, Power Wagon, Trailduster, all Mopar Truck & SUV Owners. Dodgeram

At least I thought it was in the sticky, but other things are there like how to install a fuel pin, etc.

https://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-ge...operation.html

There is much more to know, you first need a set of good gauges before you get crazy.

Last edited by bladeyamaha; 10-04-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts

You haven't said what transmission you have.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like worn injectors, timing off, something. Mileage shouldn't be that bad. As far as HP goes, I made 972rwhp with my 1st gen, but I'm not relevant to most conversations Give us a dollar amount and the trans you're running, and we can give you a good power combo. Or you could just check here.....

Dodge Power Combos.... Page1 - Diesel Power Forums at Diesel Power Magazine

Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasonQuartermile
Sounds like worn injectors, timing off, something. Mileage shouldn't be that bad. As far as HP goes, I made 972rwhp with my 1st gen, but I'm not relevant to most conversations Give us a dollar amount and the trans you're running, and we can give you a good power combo. Or you could just check here.....

Dodge Power Combos.... Page1 - Diesel Power Forums at Diesel Power Magazine
Holy crap! You are the one!

Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bladeyamaha
Holy crap! You are the one!
I try!!

STOMP and KTA and I have been in it for a while. STOMP still has made the most fuel only at c.650rwhp. The whole story is here:

Total Performance Diesel Big Gun Shootout - Diesel Power Magazine

Quick Reply: Real HP with 1st Gens