12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Starting issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Starting issue.

My truck started acting up and having starting issues, like it was bleeding back pressure so when you started it the first time for the day it would crank and crank and crank then finally start and run and after that first start you could start it for the rest of the day and it would be normal starts with no problems.

I never could find a leak so i decided to install a raptor 150 on the truck and me and my friend bled the air out of the system, i had to wire the pump up to a switch due to not having any open slots in the underhood fuse box.

A couple days after that i went to start the truck, i turned the key forward to let the grid heater heat and then turned the pump on and waited for the light to go off, well after the light went off i went to start it and it cranked and cranked so i thought Hmm must be the shut off solenoid so i got out checked to see if the plunger was where it was supposed to be and it was, so i tried again and gave it a little throttle and it started,so i thought it might have just had a lil more air in it.

but once you get that start out it runs fine and starts fine the rest of the day, untill it sits overnight.

fast forward to today, walked over to the truck as soon as i got in i turned the pump on to make sure it would get fuel there before i turned the key on, turned the key on, let the wait to start light go off, started cranking and it cranked, put my foot on the throttle a little and it started now im completely clueless and dont know what is wrong or what to do at this point.

please any help would be appreciated! sorry for the long post but i figured if i gave you all the info i could give you it might help trace the problem

Old 05-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine did that after i put my 4ks in. Got them adjusted where I want them and bumped my idle back up to about 850 anf it was fine.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

it idles about 800-850, it runs good, i dont understand how the governer springs would cause it not to start right?

could it be cause they are too loose? or too tight? when he put them in he used a dial caliper to check it.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

nobody knows anything else to try? when it had the 160 injection pump it would do this, now even with the 175 pump and raptor lift pump it still does it and im completely clueless, and it idles where it should.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

Give it some time,people will chime in. I'm thinking their may be some thing with the fuel pump.Because you say it starts with a little throttle.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

a ot of the time GSK's make it harder to start the truck. but generally all you have to do is give it just a bit of throttle and it will fire right up. have you replaced your OFV? this can definatly cause a hard start issue. what is your fuel pressure at idle to WOT? if there is a big difference there is a big chance you have a wore out OFV and or a weak lift pump. if it is a stock OFV take it out and give the spring a stretch. see if that doesnt remedy the problem.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Could it be the fuel shutoff selonoid?

Old 05-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

well the raptor 150 is brand new and it was set from the factory i dont have a fuel pressure gauge at the moment to check the fuel pressure gauge.

as far as stretching the spring in the overflow its already been stretched a little and it has a bic pen spring cut the length of the stretched spring put in it. even before the governer springs it was doing this.

when i first got it the grid heater didnt work like it was supposed to so i thought the problem was because of that, so i fixed that and before the governer springs it started doing this when it sat overnight. did it with the factory injector pump with the stock lift pump before and after governer springs, with the 175 pump and the governer springs with the stock and with the raptor pump it still does it.

as far as fuel shot off ive turned the key to the on position got out pulled it up manually and tried and it still does this if it sits overnight.

i can get in it right now where its sat, turn the pump on as soon as i get in the truck, turn the key to on, wait a full minute while letting the pump run, turn the key to start it and it will crank and crank and crank and it will act like its trying to hit like i ran it out of fuel then i can put my foot on the throttle a little and it will start but act like it hasnt got enough fuel for a moment then it will clear up and be fine.

sorry for the long post just wanted to try to clear everything up so hopefully someone might spot the problem.