12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Strange start up problem on '94 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Strange start up problem on '94 Cummins

Long story short I think my starter solenoid went bad, but what the truck did last night is very strange. I can't figure out why the truck acted up in this way.

Last night, my truck wouldn't start would just click. Thought it was just a bad battery terminal/cable connection and thought to myself that I need to tighten that cable up when I get the time and when it's daylight. So, just turned the key to try it again and it clicked again.

Being that it clicked I tried it again. Click. Frustrated I just turned the key in fast succession. Click-click-click-click. Then it finally caught and cranked up and started. Thing is it sound awful. Had a huge rattling noise (which at the time I had no clue, but I think the noise was the starter not disengaging). And the system wasn't charging. Being that the battery wasn't charging. I go to turn off the truck, but can't. Turned the key off and nothing happened. Turned the key back on on and off and still nothing. Truck's still on, huge rattling noise, battery gauge showing no charge, and I can't turn the truck off. So, what did I do? I held down the brake, put the truck in gear and killed the engine via the clutch (I know shouldn't have done that, but was in a bit of a panic and it's probably for the best in that it was the quickest way to turn the truck off in that the starter wasn't disengaging). I did this twice before giving up.

Next morning. I try it again. starter is still clicking. Only this time I wait about 2 seconds before trying again. Last time I just bumped the start as fast as I could. After about 5 times the truck starts. System is charging, and no rattling noise. Turn the key off, and it starts right away. Turn the key off, click.... wait... click.... wait.... it starts.

I think my problem is a bad starter solenoid. And when I bumped it too fast, I guess I was confusing the computer to where it thought the truck was still off or something. As for the rattling noise, I believe that noise was the starter not disengaging after the truck was already on. Haven't a clue why that would happen though.

Anyone ever run into something like this, and do you think my guess is right about it being the starter solenoid? Anyway, something is wrong.

Last edited by Threesixty; 03-21-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 94 also and its really weird when it gets to cold outside it just clicks and doesnt even think about starting over until i push it in the warm shop and leave it for a little while or plug it in at night.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be your starter, take if off and have it checked. Mine was doing the same thing and I took it off and where the exciter wire hooks to was broke. New starter and it was perfect.