12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

12Valve Fuel Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mysterync
I disagree. Bosch spent millions engineering the P series. I don't feel you can recreate the same results that simply. You will take a hit with low end control or upper end fueling. The afc was designed to move out of the way under boost and allow the plate to govern arm travel. The afc will move toward so quickly you have no bottom end fuel control, reducing efficiency, creating a massive cloud of smoke. You can slide the afc back and modify it but them it limits top end. Regardless of how you tune it at some point your foot controls the fueling all on its own. Maybe you've read some forums and made assumptions according to what others have said, I challenge you to research the true operation of the pump and make dyno runs and emission test... you'll see the plate is there for a reason.
Secondly, I don't tune my customers trucks like im a broke teenager. I tune them correctly and shoot for the absolute best driveability and efficiency possible. Disagree if you wish but pump operation, physics and common sense win everytime.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
I do not just read posts online and assume that there correct. I'm the guy who posts up things that I have done and gotten great results. I have done my homework on the p pump and how it works what the different pieces of the pump do. With the way I suggested you don't lose low end control or top end power. The afc can move as fast or as slow as one wishes it doesn't always move as quick as it does from the factory. When its right there is a slight puff of smoke than all that comes out of the tailpipe is a slight haze. As for your MPG comment please explain using your common sense and physics how in a reg cab 5spd 3.55 rear tuned how I'm suggesting gets 21mpg around town? last I checked with no injectiables thats pretty good.

On a side note I do not own or work in a performance shop, I help friends out with there problems when asked. So before you try and sling more dirt and call me a broke teenager I'm letting you know I'm not a member here to try and make a buck.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

i feel compelled to post something, whether its a Hiss or a Grrr i just cant deside???
LOL

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

And I am trying to make a buck ? Lol
We all know im an opinionated jack azz when it comes to these subjects. Im voicing my reasonings why I feel im right. Does it mean im right, no but that's what a discussion board is right?
As for tuning like a broke teenager there was no reference to you, im implying a broke teenager may prefer the cheaper method over my method or any oem method.
As I said before we will agree to disagree. There is no spring combination on the planet that accomplishes the same effect as a fuel plate.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

We all know im an opinionated jack azz when it comes to these subjects. Im voicing my reasonings why I feel im right. Does it mean im right, no but that's what a discussion board is right?
As for tuning like a broke teenager there was no reference to you, im implying a broke teenager may prefer the cheaper method over my method or any oem method.
As I said before we will agree to disagree. There is no spring combination on the planet that accomplishes the same effect as a fuel plate.

I'm going to stand behind mysterync on this... AFC's purpose is low boost fuel only. How you can justify variable rate travel of the AFC idk. If its a 10 pound spring then that's all it's going to take before the AFC moves out of the way of the governor arm allowing free travel. It isn't going to increase or decrease rate of travel on your throttle input. Plus a fuel plate profile is supposed to be designed to increase/decrease fueling at certain rpms for optimal performance. Say towing a load at 1800 rpm you won't get the same amount of fuel accelerating hard from a stop at 2200 rpm. Fuel plates were made for a reason. If the AFC thing works for you; that's fine. You feel it's right; but lots o' research and development went into fuel plates and profiles. Better let Bosch know it was pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

agree to disagree works for me

Originally Posted by tower_ofpower
I'm going to stand behind mysterync on this... AFC's purpose is low boost fuel only. How you can justify variable rate travel of the AFC idk. If its a 10 pound spring then that's all it's going to take before the AFC moves out of the way of the governor arm allowing free travel. It isn't going to increase or decrease rate of travel on your throttle input. Plus a fuel plate profile is supposed to be designed to increase/decrease fueling at certain rpms for optimal performance. Say towing a load at 1800 rpm you won't get the same amount of fuel accelerating hard from a stop at 2200 rpm. Fuel plates were made for a reason. If the AFC thing works for you; that's fine. You feel it's right; but lots o' research and development went into fuel plates and profiles. Better let Bosch know it was pointless.

Here is what I have been doing, to make the afc a fuel stop all you need is a boost elbow. insted of using it on the wastegate install it on the supply line to the afc. this way it limits how much air the afc gets making it a effective fuel stop ... also makes the foot travel a lot smoother

Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94 12valve
agree to disagree works for me

Here is what I have been doing, to make the afc a fuel stop all you need is a boost elbow. insted of using it on the wastegate install it on the supply line to the afc. this way it limits how much air the afc gets making it a effective fuel stop ... also makes the foot travel a lot smoother
A boost elbow dosent limit anything, it only slows the flow in turn slowing the activation of the spring. You still have no control of tuning and either low end or top end fueling is limited. Its better than a factory afc controlling the fueling. But its still not adequate fuel control, even more so while towing.
I don't see why you couldn't design something with a servo that could fine tune the fueling according to a boost and rpm referenced map but it would take a ton of time with a wideband gas analyzer, dyno and data logger with egt and boost reference to accomplish what the plate was intended to do, you could probably do it better. That's just alot of work

Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

A boost elbow dosent limit anything, it only slows the flow in turn slowing the activation of the spring. You still have no control of tuning and either low end or top end fueling is limited. Its better than a factory afc controlling the fueling. But its still not adequate fuel control, even more so while towing.
I don't see why you couldn't design something with a servo that could fine tune the fueling according to a boost and rpm referenced map but it would take a ton of time with a wideband gas analyzer, dyno and data logger with egt and boost reference to accomplish what the plate was intended to do, you could probably do it better. That's just alot of work

Not to mention; extremely expensive... When a $30 hunk of steel can do the trick

Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Exactly....very expensive

Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy guys.

I agree, AFC has limited control for pre-boost fuel without fuel plate.
If you mash your foot into the pedal without a fuel plate it is going to give you MAXIMUM FUELING. This means if you are going really slow in second gear and mash the pedal you are going to blow huge clouds of black smoke, it contaminates your oil.. wastes fuel.. and won't clear up until it matches the appropriate RPM.

A fuel plate adds fuel at a pre-set boost level that is designed to also correspond with RPM.
So, if you have the correct fuel plate you should be able to mash the throttle and get a little puff of smoke but it should be fairly clean power all the way till it defuels. The initial smoke is to reduce response time and allow the turbo to build boost.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

I guess the best way to say it is the governor arm moves up and down for a reason.

Quick Reply: 12Valve Fuel Plate