12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Whats Too Much Boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

If your going to run over 60psi id recommend Orings plus studs.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

o rings are in the near future

Old 04-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

my 98 12valve has a schwiter turbo htb2, afe air manifold, isspro gauges, k&n cold air intake, 150 hp injectors, and its makes 45 pounds of boost is that too much boost

Old 04-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

The two toughest trucks around there... until I come to town of course. We'll leave it at that.
Funny....
As many trips as I make up into Western NY to visit a close friend I have NEVER seen your truck anywhere with its chest puffed out waiting to get its azz knocked off the throne.Old man once told me,never write a check your azz can not cash and if you think you are the baddest then someone will come along and knock you off your little hill.

Lets see now,I can run from here to Buffalo in less than 5 hours.Weather is getting nice and you seem to have a check wiating to be cashed,maybe a road trip knocking you off the hill would work for my poor attitude today.

Dan..
74psi and you are living on borrowed time,its not a matter of how its when it will happen.

Back to the posters original question...
As Dave said,many factors will contribute to just what you can "get away" with for boost on a stock head and headgasket.The rule of thumb is generally no more than 16.5 degrees of timing and gate the stock charger to 40psi and you "may" get some longevity,but,do not count on it.Also note that ANY boost pressure ABOVE 40psi on a HX35/WH1C/HY35 does you absolutely zero good and all it does is superheat the air charge.

P.S.-Real Men Run Big Singles and don't run twins.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Being Evaluated
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer
Funny....
As many trips as I make up into Western NY to visit a close friend I have NEVER seen your truck anywhere with its chest puffed out waiting to get its azz knocked off the throne.Old man once told me,never write a check your azz can not cash and if you think you are the baddest then someone will come along and knock you off your little hill.

Lets see now,I can run from here to Buffalo in less than 5 hours.Weather is getting nice and you seem to have a check wiating to be cashed,maybe a road trip knocking you off the hill would work for my poor attitude today.
wut

Old 04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Diesel Bomber

when i say "around here" i mean in a close area maby our county? few surrounding towns? ive been driving mine around for almost two years now and havent found truck around my area that moves like mine. except my brothers 7.3l

and why do real men run singles?
are they not good fabricators or what?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

and im pretty sure "around here" is nowhere near WV or NY. so im not the one running my mouth in this thread, "ANDY"

Originally Posted by ztk7220
what size are your twins

right now a super 40 over a ht3b turbo.

but looking for more of an s300 based charger for up top

andy i apologize, i thought your post was aiming towards me. but you were accually talking to 85 305. my bad. but me and 85 305 joke back and forth, him and my brother were buds on the powerstroke forum. he was joking around. sorry -dan

Last edited by dan33klein; 04-03-2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if the head lifts then you put to much boost to it

i have seen stock motors take 45 several times and even extended and didnt phase them

Last edited by wes-cummins; 04-03-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Diesel Bomber

heres an example. idk if you believe me and i honestly dont care.haha. my buddy has a 12 valve conversion on his 05 ford f250. the motor has a cutted afc with no plate. super hx40 turbo pushing about 52 psi of boost max, and 24.5 degrees of timing. no studs no nothing. stock headgasket and stock head bolts. motor rocks and rolls. been running it like this for over a year no problems. i even gave him the speach that he cant run that timing and boost without studs and o rings. but he said it would be fine. and it is.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 157 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer
Funny....

Dan..
74psi and you are living on borrowed time,its not a matter of how its when it will happen.

Back to the posters original question...
As Dave said,many factors will contribute to just what you can "get away" with for boost on a stock head and headgasket.The rule of thumb is generally no more than 16.5 degrees of timing and gate the stock charger to 40psi and you "may" get some longevity,but,do not count on it.Also note that ANY boost pressure ABOVE 40psi on a HX35/WH1C/HY35 does you absolutely zero good and all it does is superheat the air charge.

P.S.-Real Men Run Big Singles and don't run twins.
Damn right

Originally Posted by dan33klein
when i say "around here" i mean in a close area maby our county? few surrounding towns? ive been driving mine around for almost two years now and havent found truck around my area that moves like mine. except my brothers 7.3l

and why do real men run singles?
are they not good fabricators or what?

and im pretty sure "around here" is nowhere near WV or NY. so im not the one running my mouth in this thread, "ANDY"

right now a super 40 over a ht3b turbo.

but looking for more of an s300 based charger for up top

andy i apologize, i thought your post was aiming towards me. but you were accually talking to 85 305. my bad. but me and 85 305 joke back and forth, him and my brother were buds on the powerstroke forum. he was joking around. sorry -dan

Twins are cool ... but I a big fan of big ole single

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dan33klein
heres an example. idk if you believe me and i honestly dont care.haha. my buddy has a 12 valve conversion on his 05 ford f250. the motor has a cutted afc with no plate. super hx40 turbo pushing about 52 psi of boost max, and 24.5 degrees of timing. no studs no nothing. stock headgasket and stock head bolts. motor rocks and rolls. been running it like this for over a year no problems. i even gave him the speach that he cant run that timing and boost without studs and o rings. but he said it would be fine. and it is.
thats a cummins for ya, you can put them through hell and the dont die

Quick Reply: Whats Too Much Boost