12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Ball Joints - Moog vs. XRF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints - Moog vs. XRF?

Great advice on this site for the new buyers' [like myself] of not-so-new Dodge Diesels. Mine's a stock 1996 2 WD that's more apt to have just a tool box in the back, rather than the 4x4's hauling moto-X bikes. Nonetheless, in spite of my 2 WD never getting it's feet muddy from off-roading, I'm needing to replace the ball joints.

I've read on this site that many of you prefer Moog, which I see come with a life-time warranty if purchased from the Shucks/OReilly/Checkers auto parts chain. [$82.00 pair] The tech at the Bear alignment shop, however, said they had problems with Moog ball joints and used XRF brand. He claimed that these would last a lifetime.

Since I live in the cold, wet & soggy Seattle area, I was going to let the shop do the job. If I'm going to pay shop labor, I, in turn, wanted to get the best quality ball joints installed to last. What's your opinion?

One last point... The tech further added that on the 2 WD models, they will only change out the upper ball joint if the control arm is included for safety reasons. Something about the metal not being strong enough to pop them back in place? Your thoughts?

Thanks...as always for everyone's opinions and have a great Thanksgiving!

Regards,

Steven

Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

i don't know who makes the XRF so i can't comment on their quality.

On my 96 1ton i have ran TRW's went through 4 sets in less than 6 months, ended up getting a refund and bought Moogs, installed them and 6 months later had to replace the lowers. this was when the truck was stock height. it is now lowered and the control arms are more parallel to the ground and i haven't had any issues in the past couple of years.

Originally Posted by diggerphd
One last point... The tech further added that on the 2 WD models, they will only change out the upper ball joint if the control arm is included for safety reasons. Something about the metal not being strong enough to pop them back in place? Your thoughts?

IIRC there was a recall on the front spring bucket or control arm back in the day, i know mine are fine, never had an issue with them not being strong enough to pop back in place. also i have NEVER seen the entire control arm and ball joint for sale through a major parts store.

if i were you, i would go rent the ball joint press from Auto Zone, buy the Moogs, install them in your front yard or driveway and take the press back and get the refund. first time it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours max assuming you are using hand tools only. once you replace them 4-5 times you can do all 4 of them in an hour or less......

Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ben...love your closing dry humor, "Once you replace them 4-5 times you can do all 4 of them in an hour or less......"

Old 11-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

not dry humor..... just word from the wise.....