12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Wheel Hub Bluessss???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub Bluessss???

Hey guys...so i dove into replacing my front u-joints on my truck....got the wheel off..obv...then after heat, my spindle nut.....then the 4 bolts behind the rotor, got the caliper out of the way...and then for three hours of slide hammering, heat, sledgeing, and eventually cracking my rotor....i got nowhere else.. for the life of me could not get the ring that holds my studs free....the rotor has little side to side play....but after 3 hours got nowhere close to getting the rotor off..i cant tell if the inside of the rotor where my bearings are is seized or not, and my truck bearings seem fine...the wheel spins freely and makes no noise besides the clicking from my u joint. And during this whole process, asked myself what if i just wanted to do the rotors?...i couldnt budge the SOB...i tryed gear puller destroyed it...bearing puller...destroyed, slid hammer..destroyed. Any help or advice would be much apreciated, and much easier on the Jack bottle next time i dive back in. Thanks, Len

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

oh, and i forgot to mention, the front end is the Dana 60...found out after the u-joints i bought were way to small

Last edited by 98_12Vcummer; 02-02-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

the rotors are attached to the hub assembly with the lug nut studs if u got a 4 wheel drive u got to take the four bolts holdin the hub assembly to the spindle u might have to take a chisel or pry bar to get the hub out of the spindle but screw one of the lug nuts back on and beat the studs out with a hammer and the rotor should come of the assembly

Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had to pull mine twice in the past 5 months. Firs time for the u-joint/axle seal. Then last weekend I pulled them again because the front left wheel bearing took a **** on me. So instead of putting a unit bearing back on I got the ems hub conversion/CAD delete kit. The way I pulled mine was with a BIG slide hammer my dad made at work that uses the wheel studs to bolt on and then a 20 pound weight on about 3 feet of all thread. With this I don't even unbolt the stub axle from the unit bearing it all comes out together. Works like a champ man

Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Diesel Fan

in reponse to dodge man....itis a 4x4 and i did get the 4 bolts off, ....i just cant get the hub assbly off the mini axle end.. tater-...we did make a bracket out of 1/4 inch steel that went over the longest point of stud to stud for our slide hammer....but out slide hammer was probably 10lbs....i guess maybe a heavier one might be in order...but would still like to pos. find another way

Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

the last ones i did i was changing the bearings and rotor and icut the rotors off with the plasma cutter and put a chisel between the bearing hub and spindle casting and cracked it loose but this was after trying every other way i could think ofjust remember to use some antiseize when you put it back together they come apart really easy after that

Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Get a huge puller and tiwst tell you cant anymore the beat it with a hammer then do it again. it will take awhile but it will come off. when you go to put it back on use anti-seize.this will lube it up so next time it will come off easier.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i didnt have no problem with mine i did both hub assemblys and u joints in a about 2 and half hours, but watch with the puller cause u might pull the bearing apart.then u might as well beat and tear it the rest of the way out. if u heat it, dont heat the hub assembly, try heating the outer housing around it cause the metal expands.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

ya ive tried this like 3 times but im not having any luck w/ it, maybe ill use a slide hammer

Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

you guys spent way to much time with stupid slide hammers, and hub pullers. i tried them all put the 9/16 socket on the hub bolt and beat like hell im down to shy of an hour for doing hubs on 2nd gen front ends

Old 02-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Diesel Fan

will that 9/16 fit over the hub bolt....even my dana 60 front end?....i think i had to use something like a 42mm or some thing like an 1 1/2" ..to just get that hub bolt off. I asume that once you get it on, you just whack the SOB inwards towards the truck

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub Bluessss???