12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Is the trans trashed or something else? 47re!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the trans trashed or something else? 47re!

Well guys, bought this truck about 3 weeks ago. No problems at all. Put around 200 miles on it just driving it home from where i bought it. In the past 3 weeks ive put about 800 miles on it no problems. The trans has never slipped on me before and then a few days ago going up a hill the TC locked in. in 3rd gear and bam it slipped real bad. Hmm i didnt think nothing of it and kept driving, didnt seem to slip anymore but the trans was running rather warm, about 220 just cruising. The next day driving it around no problems, trans started getting hot and bam slipped in third again, real bad, jerked the whole truck. At this point i figure i better get home, pulling out from a red light it wouldnt shift into 3rd at all, i figured third was probably trashed, pulled over and put it in park then to drive and it shifted fine, going down a hill on the way home i let off the throttle to let the rpms slow me down but it acted like it couldnt do it, rpms were climbing and then falling, then climbing then falling jerking the truck real bad. I figured the bands were out of adjustment, so i adjusted the bands (they were out of adjustment real bad btw), took it for a drive and then a new problem started, sometimes when i put it in 1st manually on the column it wouldnt go into first it would stay stuck in neutral until the rpms climbed a little then it would fall in rapidly. I pulled the pan and the magnet was caked with metal shavings, put new fluid in it and the next day the fluid was trashed and smelt of burnt metal. I parked it for a few days until today when i scored on 6 new mud tires for $500, so i put them on and wanted to see how the truck drove, as i pulled out of the drive way i stopped at the bottom of the drive way to check for cars obviously, as i went to pull out it wasnt in gear, it revved up and before i could notice it wasnt in gear it fell into gear hard, so hard it killed the truck. So i started it back up and backed it right back into the yard.

I think its pretty well gone but maybe im wrong. I hate i just bought this truck and the trans is gone, thats a 47re for you i guess, but a shop out town is gonna rebuild it, and warranty it for a year for $1700, i dont even have to pull it they will do it for me, but i hate to go back stock with it but cant really afford an ats trans witch i would love or the money to have it all built with the billet parts, and suggestions on good rebuild kits that may be better then going back stock or any suggestions on how to let the shop rebuild it?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

I think I would do a little investigating into ATS before you even think of using them

Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, if ya are getting a better tranny, get ya something from suncoast. Heard of some problems on ATS. Type in ATS transmission problem on google and you will find a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNG list of complaints. Yer tranny to me sounds about gone, but I could be wrong. It may be just snychros, it could be it needs complete replacement. Hard to say without driving it and looking at the tranny. Good luck to ya, and make sure ya let us know what the issue is. Might help someone down the road.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well guys a buddy of mine has everything i need to convert mine to a manual. The nv4500 has 170,000 miles he is only asking $1900 to me for everything, including pedals, interior boot, transfer case, all that good stuff. Is it worth it? I really need to decide, should i worry that the transmission has 170,000 miles, are the nv4500 transmissions build strong enough to handle high mileage.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would start a new thread on that one.