1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Manual shut off leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual shut off leaking

My injection pump is leaking from the manual shut off. How hard is it to replace the o-ring? Can I leave the pump on? Can I remove the screw and spring to fix or do I need to pull the top off because something will fall off inside?

I've tried using the search and get a lot of hits on the solenoid shut off, but having trouble finding the fix for my issue. Thank you for any help.

Jake

Old 07-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Incountryboy
My injection pump is leaking from the manual shut off. How hard is it to replace the o-ring? Can I leave the pump on? Can I remove the screw and spring to fix or do I need to pull the top off because something will fall off inside?

I've tried using the search and get a lot of hits on the solenoid shut off, but having trouble finding the fix for my issue. Thank you for any help.

Jake
no you don't have to pull the top off. mark the shaft in relation with the lever. the shaft is splined. when you take the lever off watch how the spring goes. there is a thin washer and a o ring under in. that is the only seal on the manual shut off seal..

Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Novapat! I have been really swamped at work with the 4th tomorrow and have not been able to get to it, however when I looked tonight it actually looks like it is coming from the bolt head just under the manual shut off. Trying to figure out what that is now. I have been looking for the rebuild seal kit but can not find the Bosch kit for sale. Not sure if I want to go with anything else, however I may not have a choice. Leaning to pull the pump off and replacing all the seals in the next couple of weeks. Sooner the better.