1st Generation Dodge Cummins 89-93 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Rotary Injection Pumps

Can a leaking injector pump cause a truck to not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can a leaking injector pump cause a truck to not start

I have owned a 1990 for about 6 months now. It has 103k miles and runs very smooth. Over the past few months it has developed a leak I tracked down to the injector pump. I drove it to work, ran perfectly fine. Went out to start it to go home, think won't start. I know the fuel filter is getting gas to it. The injector pump has a decent puddle under it just trying to start. I was plannign on rebuilding it this weekend.

Could that be the cause of not being able to start? It ran just fine up until this point of not wanting to start... it doesn't even sound like it's about to or stumble... it sounds like if it were a gas motor it had no ignition... went from running great to nothing at all.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ya, try pumping the lever on the lift pump. My guess is as the inj pump leaks, it draws in air, making for a hard start. It should prime easy because the leak acts like an air vent.

My '90 did this. If I left it for several days, I had to prime it. If I started it every day or two, no problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem mine it would leek loose the prime after afew days then leek all over once it was running

Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM

Is there any recourse for a leaking injector pump short of replacing it?

Are there any common failures to the Bosch VE injector pump to start looking at?

I recently discovered a leak that appears to be coming from the front side of the pump rear bracket. It is a very consistent leak at idle. There hasn't been any work done on the injector to aggravate its condition.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just age. My pump leaked so bad it wouldn't start and although in pretty mechanically capable I failed at rebuilding the pump. Or should I say rebuilding the pump and keeping the settings. At the very least the pump will need to be set at tdc and in my case I lost some factory settings because the video I followed sucked. I could easily reseal a pump again today for $50 or so plus whatever setting at tdc would cost. The only way to fix a leaky pump is to take it apart and replace the seals

Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The seal kit isn't very expensive. Bosch part number DGK-121. I got the throttle shaft bushing and o-ring too. It will all go in when I do my governor spring.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Depends on where the leak is. My throttle shaft leaked for years and had no ill effects. A loose intake hose to the lift pump however caused all kinds of hate and discontent.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:46 AM
Default Leaking Bosch VE Fuel Injection Pump and Hard Start

Hi, I am a New Member (also I spell poorly). I own a Vehicle with a Bosch VE Fuel Injection Pump and have the same Symptoms as the Guy that started the thread.

Plunger that Delivers the Fuel to the Injectors is down the Centerline of the Fuel Injection Pump. That Plunger and Sleeve Assembly get their Fuel from the low pressure Fuel that is in the Fuel Pump Housing.

When the Vehicle sits a leak comingout of the Throttle Levers or even the Top Cover will not drain off enough Fuel for the level of Fuel inside of the Pump Housing to go below the Level of the Plunger and Sleeve so there is a good chance that your Vehicles is going to start even with the Leak up top.

As happend with mine when the Seal on the Pump Drive Shaft leaks 2 things happen. A larger amount of Fuel leaks out of the Housing because the Shaft Seal leak is below the Cenerline of the Fuel Injection Pump and the Fuel that is left insided of the Fuel Injection Pump is lower than the Plunger and Sleeve.

That means when you start Cranking it is going to take along time for the Housing to fill up with enough Fuel to reach the Plunger and Sleeve and also for the Housing Pressure to build up.

Besides the leaked out Fuel Volume that needs to be replaced the Housing was Full of Air. The Air under pressure compresses and and the Air Compression delays the Fuel from Filling.

As the other Member said it is better to use the Hand Primer to refill the Housing than Cranking. Also Cranking a nearly dry Fuel Injection pump that is only lubricated by the Diesel Fuel is not good.

In My case I have a exceptionaly bad Fuel Injection Pump Drive Shaft Seal leak and I decided to take the Fuel Injection Pump apart and check out the Drive Shaft Bushings.

It turned out the Bushings are badly worn and I was searching this forum for info on the Bushig Replacemen as the inside diameter of the bushings need to be reamed to size before the shaft will fit.

Attached Thumbnails Can a leaking injector pump cause a truck to not start-bosch-ve-fuel-injection-pump-profile-cutaway-diagram.jpg   Can a leaking injector pump cause a truck to not start-shaft-seal-after-5-years-use..jpg