No oil pressure 6.5 - Diesel Bombers



Chevy/GMC 6.2L and 6.5L Discussion of Chevy and GMC Trucks with 6.2L and 6.5L Diesel Engines

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-03-2017, 06:47 AM
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Meriden
Posts: 4
Default No oil pressure 6.5

Got a 95 k2500 6.5 just picked up on the drive home the radiator hose blew cuz of the turbo heat ran for about 2 min after over heating got it towed and replaced all the hoses and now there's about 18 lbs of oil pressure on cold start and then 0 on warm idle if I told it at 2k rpm oil pressure will stay at 17lbs any ideas what it could be (was checked with a manual gauge)
Truck starts and runs fine has 240k on it don't no if motor was ever rebuilt I am the 3rd owner
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Mayhem's Avatar
Diesel Wrench
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Middle of nowhere Tn
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Vecchitto View Post
Got a 95 k2500 6.5 just picked up on the drive home the radiator hose blew cuz of the turbo heat ran for about 2 min after over heating got it towed and replaced all the hoses and now there's about 18 lbs of oil pressure on cold start and then 0 on warm idle if I told it at 2k rpm oil pressure will stay at 17lbs any ideas what it could be (was checked with a manual gauge)
Truck starts and runs fine has 240k on it don't no if motor was ever rebuilt I am the 3rd owner
Sounds like the main bearings are bad and the radiator hose blowing off could mean a cracked cylinder head.

Last edited by Mayhem; 03-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Meriden
Posts: 4
Default

If it was cracked head I would be looking oil or cooling wouldn't I?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Mayhem's Avatar
Diesel Wrench
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Middle of nowhere Tn
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Vecchitto View Post
If it was cracked head I would be looking oil or cooling wouldn't I?
Could be going out the exhaust and the radiator hose blowing off is a sign of a cracked head/ and or head gasket failure usually happens on the passenger side cylinder head because that where the turbo is best thing to do is go to a parts store and get the head gasket/ cylinder head leak test kit and get the diesel test fluid the gasoline fluid will not work the kit will be a loaner kit but the test fluid you will have to pay for, you still are looking at having to pull the engine to replace the bearings though.

Over heating even for a few minutes is bad for these engines.
And at 2,000 rpm these engines make 40+ lbs of oil pressure.

Last edited by Mayhem; 03-05-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Meriden
Posts: 4
Default

Hose didn't knew off it had a hole in it they blew up
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Mayhem's Avatar
Diesel Wrench
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Middle of nowhere Tn
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Vecchitto View Post
Hose didn't knew off it had a hole in it they blew up
The hose blew up or burst is what you are trying to say?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2017, 05:42 PM
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Meriden
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
The hose blew up or burst is what you are trying to say?
Yeah sorry auto correct
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Mayhem's Avatar
Diesel Wrench
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Middle of nowhere Tn
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Vecchitto View Post
Yeah sorry auto correct
Ok it's still a possibility that a head has cracked or head gasket has failed over heating a 6.5 will cause either to happen.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.