6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

bents valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bents valves

I had fire rings installed on my 2008 Dodge 2500 hd, 6.7L. Three hundred miles later I took the truck back in for a required re-torque. When I did that, the mechanic who had done the work called me and told me that there was a valve sticking up and it would not go back down and additionally, he could only locate one keeper. I had driven the truck very gently between the installation of the fire rings and the re-torque. Additionally, I had turned all of the controllers off after the fire rings were installed. I am towing my truck to a third party shop to have the engine disassembled. I need to find out if the second keeper on the valve somehow got into the engine oil pan. If the keeper is in fact found in the pan I am planning to press the mechanic who installed the fire rings to re-do the job at no cost to me. If on the other hand the keeper is not located in the engine I assume the machinist who cut the rings must have mistakenly not put it back on in which case, I am going to press him to pay for any damage caused by his negligence. My question is this: 1.) has anyone ever had a similar problem and 2.) do you agree with my assumptions and the plans I have. I am afraid that this will end up in a lawsuit and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure what the diameter of the return holes is, or the keeper for that matter. If it could fit in a return it's possible it's in the pan, but i think it would be more likely to hang up some were.

Either way, not installed or installed incorrectly and popped out, i think you're after the same guy. If it's not a common problem for them to come off. I've not read or heard of it happening. I have lost a few during assembly (on gas heads), and if i hadn't gone and checked every valve spring after completing the job, I would have never known it popped when i released the spring compressor.

I think i'd get a manual and read up on the procedure for removal and installation of the valves and keepers. I'd get a keeper and check it's size verse the oil return size if it isn't found in the pan.