6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

HELP Engine running strange

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP Engine running strange

Recently I was in AR and on 2 occasions in the morning, when I started the truck and tried to drive it was like I had no HP. Felt like I had 70 instead of 270. If I had it in park and hit the throttle it would rev up then drop and rev up again. Sometimes it would stall. When I drove it if I was over 2000 rpm it seemed ok but still weak. From 1500 -1900 it would pop like a backfire. After I shut it off and then restarted it a few minutes later it ran fine. Its at the shop and Im dreading what it might be. Heading to FL in a couples of days with the 34' trailer on it. Dont need engine problems so far from home.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

At first, I want to say fuel related, but the pop is strange. you might be expeirancing Software or computer issues related to the fuel system. Can't wait to see what tests have been done to your rig. It seems like injector timing. Are you running an EDGE or the like?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Diesel Fan

My bad I should have added that info. Truck is totally stock. Just did the reflash on the ECM per a recall notice. Techs thought that that would solve the problem. Thank God it did it while the tech was driving it. Last fuel was purchased in southern Missouri. Never had a problem before. Topped off at several different stations. $3.05 diesel hard to pass up.

Last edited by CrazyLadysHubby; 01-05-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Diesel Wrench

Then I would go back to fuel issues. And then maybe a possibility that one the injectors is not spraying correctly. If you did not have it at the shop already, I would have put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the tank to see if it helped.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Diesel Fan

They are telling me that its the fuel filter. They say that fuel filters should be changed every 10k miles. And the engine only acts up when its cold. Their theory is that the fuel is cold and clogs up easier. BS or not?? If it fixes it I guess it will be the cheapest fix but at $120 sounds awful expensive to do every 10K. Soooooo should I be looking at putting in an AirDog 150 and make it easier for filter changes not to mention cheaper. To me it sounds like the AirDog replaces the stock fuel lift pump and filter system. Am I right on this? Plus in the future Id like to start running biodiesel that I brew up so anything that can eliminate problems in the future would be great.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

UPDATE:: Truck is back. Dealer said that this is normal?? This is per DODGE Corporate. Said something about not allowing the turbo to come up to fast because its cold or something.. sounds like BS to me but they say that there is no problem. Still planning on an AirDog 150 or a FASS fuel system. Per the dealer, they say the DPF needs to be changed every 70-90k miles BS OR NOT?? If thats the case Ill be doing either a 4" or 5" TBE exhaust in the near future. Thinking 4" as Im not going for major HP increases.

Ideas on who has a decent TBE system without breaking my pittiful bank account??

And since I plan a DPF/EGR delete I guess I gotta think about a tuner. Thinking Edge or BlackMaxx.

My bank account hate me!!

Last edited by CrazyLadysHubby; 01-07-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by CrazyLadysHubby
They are telling me that its the fuel filter. They say that fuel filters should be changed every 10k miles. And the engine only acts up when its cold. Their theory is that the fuel is cold and clogs up easier. BS or not?? If it fixes it I guess it will be the cheapest fix but at $120 sounds awful expensive to do every 10K. Soooooo should I be looking at putting in an AirDog 150 and make it easier for filter changes not to mention cheaper. To me it sounds like the AirDog replaces the stock fuel lift pump and filter system. Am I right on this? Plus in the future Id like to start running biodiesel that I brew up so anything that can eliminate problems in the future would be great.

UPDATE:: Truck is back. Dealer said that this is normal?? This is per DODGE Corporate. Said something about not allowing the turbo to come up to fast because its cold or something.. sounds like BS to me but they say that there is no problem. Still planning on an AirDog 150 or a FASS fuel system. Per the dealer, they say the DPF needs to be changed every 70-90k miles BS OR NOT?? If thats the case Ill be doing either a 4" or 5" TBE exhaust in the near future. Thinking 4" as Im not going for major HP increases.

Ideas on who has a decent TBE system without breaking my pittiful bank account??

And since I plan a DPF/EGR delete I guess I gotta think about a tuner. Thinking Edge or BlackMaxx.

My bank account hate me!!
Fuel fillter does need to be changed. An Air Dog and or FASS would be fine. Alowing the truck to warm up in the morning does help. Diesels need to be warmed up when it is cold. like below 50〫F let it idle for a minimum of 5 min, thats just to be safe. Do becarefull there is a federal law on excesive idling over 5min. The DPF does need to be serviced The Diesel Particulate Filter is a collector and an inefficient emissions solution. It collects the particulate and uses diesel fuel as the catalist to burn the particulate and any other unburned matter. So it fills with ash and needs to be serviced every ∓100,000 miles depending on your driving habits.
Start with an intake system, End then price a good Exhaust sytem. Note if your going for a DPF Delete system do check your state and or county for emissions laws, don't want you to get introuble if your doing something that the law frowns on. As far as EDGE and Black Max they are ok but ask around. I prefer Smarty or Quadzilla. If you get a chance PM one of our Vendors to get an Idea what you need to save for, and gather info on what might be the best rout for you.

If you want to go the local rout, give these guys a call. I have no information on them, but they are in my data base. If they treat you right let me know if they don't still let me know. That way I can rate them. if you find any other shops in your area let me know!
Thank you.

Diesel Turbo Services
1012 1st NE Ave
Mount Vernon IA 52314
Primary: 319 895-6092

Last edited by Rustin; 01-07-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the info. The one morning I let it idle for about 10 min and it acted up. Never stopped coughing until I shut it off and restarted the engine then it seemed to be fine. I know the guy at DTS and sent you an email. Thanks for all the input.

My bank account still hates me!!

The following users liked this post:
Rustin (01-08-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just delted my 09 6.7l. Did the EGR/Cooler Delete, 5 inch TBE w/muffler and H&S MiniMaxx. OMG. This truck runs like it has 3 6.7l motors in it now. You won't be disappointed. Contact Tony and Mighty Diesel. He's a site sponsor and will definitely treat you right on price and customer service. Good luck. You really won't believe the difference in power, mileage, pretty much everything once you delete the emissions JUNK.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ahamiam:
diesel pap (01-11-2011), Rustin (01-08-2011)