6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

08 6.7 MPG stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 6.7 MPG stock

This is just a inquiry as what others are getting for MPG while towing a 8500lb travel trailer.
My Ram is all stock 6.7 AT, 3-73 gears 4X4 crew cab long bed.
Thanks will be leaving on our first long trip in a few wks and wondering what to expect, not that it matters LOL I am going anyway.

Army SSG Ret

Old 06-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

when my truck was stock, pulling a 10k lb 40' gooseneck, i was gettin anywhere from 9-11 stock ..i was hauling hotshot freight..fuel prices were killin me...put a tank in bed of the truck, done some mods and started gettin 14-17 pullin same trailer. needed fuel mileage bad, and the added power was very nice 2

Old 06-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Delete the DPF and run a tuner and you will see a very nice increase in mileage.

Luke

Old 06-13-2010, 04:09 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Bein from Oregon ya just need to be careful about what mods your gonna make. As I recall don't you already have emissions inspections there. And pretty typically you won't be far behind California in regulations to come soon.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

9-11 stock......Now i get 18-20.......When i can drive it right and keep my foot out of it...

Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I did to mine was an S&B intake, around town it sees about 16, highway holding a steady 75 to 80 it's usually in the upper 17's, I did take a trip down to long island a couple weeks ago, traffic held me to about 60 to 65 and the truck was right at the 20 mph mark.

On the overhead.... I'm probably the only guy in the country that has an overhead that's actually right, it comes out right on the money every time I try hand claculating it, so I've given up on that.

I did one haul with a 24 foot enclosed car hauler, 3800 lbs without the car from knoxville to CT, kept it around 65 to 70 the whole way, and that was about a 13 mpg trip. The trailer has an extra foot of height, so the wind drag is a little worse then normal... I think if I just put a cap on the truck it would probably have gotten me another mpg at least.

As soon as I hit 100K with it and the warrenty is up on the motor... I'm gonna put a tuner and a 5 inch turbo back on it. Probably gonna try getting one that I can just put a 90 degree on and kick it out in front of the passenger's rear tire, paint it flat black so noone notices, etc. That, and a tuner on the lowest power setting, just so it will run right with a straitpipe on it. I have no need for the added power, truck's got plenty as it is, I just want the mpg increase. I'd like to see it get to 20 with my 75mph 60 mile round trip commmute I do daily, be even beter if it was more then that.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jl ws-6
As soon as I hit 100K with it and the warrenty is up on the motor.
Thats completely pointless. Modify it now.

Aftermarket modifications cannot void a warranty unless they are the cause of the problem. If you break something with the modifications or as a result of the increased power, you'll be paying for the repairs yourself no matter what. Waiting longer only means it will be harder on the engine for it to handle the added power.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mpg

ive got a stock 08 6.7 single cab with a fat bed went to kansas with 7000 pounds on the bed got 16mpg on over head.coming back to houston got 21.8 with cruise on 75

Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Thats completely pointless. Modify it now.

Aftermarket modifications cannot void a warranty unless they are the cause of the problem. If you break something with the modifications or as a result of the increased power, you'll be paying for the repairs yourself no matter what. Waiting longer only means it will be harder on the engine for it to handle the added power.
I don't believe that statement one bit. I've been around drag racing for a LONG tmie, I've seen brand new engines of all kinds of makes blow up the first pass, I've seen factory motor's get flogged and never blow up, then get a power adder put on it and still not blow up, when it's time it's time.

I have absolutely zero need for any more power from this truck, the only reason I have to do anything would be to increase the mileage and/or fix a problem, or prevent one.

Here in CT, we have emmissions, I haven't been thru yet, won't be due for another couple years (new cars/truck get a 4 year waiver then we have to go every other year), when it's fue and I go thru I will see what they're looking for... I am sure that if there's codes in teh computer it will fail, and if you have to have the programmer plugged in for the codes to not come up, it's gonna fail, meaning I have to put it back to stock every other year, which is a pita.

I'm hoping, that something like hp tuners that is available for GM will be out and we can just download a tune into the truck that turns everything off and the tuner won't have to stay in the truck, that would be ideal... but it looks like we're a LONG way from that.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Diesel Fan

If it was me then I would just put an mp8 on that raises the fuel rail pressure and I believe it atomizes the fuel better that way. You can turn it up or down however you like and will probably pick up a little milage.

Quick Reply: 08 6.7 MPG stock