6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

08 6.7 MPG stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jl ws-6
I don't believe that statement one bit.
Thats because you don't understand the discussion.

Originally Posted by jl ws-6
I've seen brand new engines of all kinds of makes blow up the first pass
Key point there. If an engine is abused before it has properly broken in then destruction is not out of the question. I guarantee that if any of the owners had mentioned to the dealer the engine blew up while racing, their warranty repairs would have been denied as abuse.

The law states that if modifications or the driver are a contributing cause of failure the warranty can be denied.
Installing an aftermarket turbo on your engine will not allow the dealer to deny coverage if an injector fails or the fan hub fails, for example. Now if you installed a tuner and they discover the altered fire burn pattern on the pistons or that you revved the engine past its redline, then they could deny the warranty on the two example items because they didn't fail under normal use.

and if you have to have the programmer plugged in... it's gonna fail
Wrong. Every programmer sold on the open market is street legal unless it states something like "off road use only".

If it was me then I would just put an mp8 on that raises the fuel rail pressure and I believe it atomizes the fuel better that way.
Cranking up the fuel pressure is a very bad way to increase power on common rail engines. They're already making 21,000psi+, 10% change won't make any difference to atomization.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 06-29-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Thats because you don't understand the discussion.

Wrong. Every programmer sold on the open market is street legal unless it states something like "off road use only".

most 6.7 programmers do say for off road use only as well as our exaust if you delete the dpf of course you can buy 5.9 exaust and get around that

Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by dodgeram082500
most 6.7 programmers do say for off road use only
Those would still not void the warranty unless they are a contributing cause of the problem and the dealer can prove it.

I suggest everyone read the actual Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

Old 06-29-2010, 02:04 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

when it comes down to it the dealer has the final say in what voids the warranty and what doesn't the fact that it's a federal law that the dpf be intact with 07.5 and up trucks means removal of them is a felony regardless of whether your state has emissions laws or not, so maybe removing the dpf won't cause a warranty issue, but i can't think of to many dealers that would be ok with removing that piece of equipment and working on your vehicle under warranty

Old 06-29-2010, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat67
when it comes down to it the dealer has the final say in what voids the warranty and what doesn't
Only because most consumers don't have the gall to challenge them. Their primary concern is the bottom line, not fixing your vehicle. If they can find ANY excuse not to repair a problem on their dime they will do it, even if it means questionable tactics like illegally denying coverage simply for the presence of modifications. Dealers using such tactics was the entire point behind passing the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

the fact that it's a federal law that the dpf be intact with 07.5 and up trucks means removal of them is a felony regardless of whether your state has emissions laws or not
That is false information.
CAA CAA Statute, Regulations, & Enforcement | Civil Enforcement | Compliance and Enforcement | U.S. EPA
Violations of the tampering requirements (by a person other than a company or dealer), or defeat device provisions by anyone may incur penalties of up to $2,750 per vehicle or engine.
The result is a fine IF they decide to do anything. Your insinuation of criminal charges is 100% wrong.

but i can't think of to many dealers that would be ok with removing that piece of equipment and working on your vehicle under warranty
I can't think of a single dealer that wants to do any warranty work. They make no money from it, what little income is returned from the manufacturer goes to covering mechanic, part and operational costs. The simple fact is that they could report you to the EPA but they still can't deny your warranty repairs unless removing the DPF was a contributing cause to the problems.

I suggest everyone read the actual Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 06-29-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one who works on a vehicle with the federally mandated emissions control devices removed is subject to a pretty large fine. If you take your vehicle to a dealer and the DPF is gone they won't have to deny the warranty, they just will refuse to work on it because of exposing themselves to the large fine.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

dealer i go to told me, "its up to the dealer on whether or not ur warranty is voided because of mods"...another dealer i went to 1 time said they "wouldnt work on my truck because of the mods"....guess which one i kept going too...and the dealer owners son had an 07 with a programmer on it and was tryin to sell it to me til he seen mine.....the 2nd dealer just didnt wanna fool with it because Chrysler mite have came in and seen what was going on, and then fined them, just like hsfbfan said...its all a money racket...most of the time dealers like warranty work, cause they can do more and get away with a little more, even if it dont need fixed.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 AM

Got about 11-12 mpg pulling 10,000 between LA and Eugene (about 18-19 mpg with no trailer) until latest recall reprogram. Did the trip 10 times in the last 2 years. Lost about 1 mpg (running empty) since then. First loaded run with trailer coming up next month .

Old 07-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Default 08 MPG stock

Well, I just finished my first long trip towing my 2010 Cougar TT 8,000lbs.
10.3 going, 11.7 return (more down hill) so now I know.
thanks to all that responded.