6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

fuel filter question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel filter question..

I had the fuel filter done about 2 weeks ago (actually on columbus day) and I've noticed a couple times I smelt diesel... I figured it was just the truck in regen or something....

I saw a souple spots on the driveway last week, didn't know what it was from, got under the truck, couldn't find anything.

It appears it's fuel, it's not dripping alot, but there's a couple spots in teh general ara the filter is in that seem damp. Could this just be from the service, some fuel that was puddled up somewhere and it's now finally dripping, or a leak? And if it's a leak, where's the first place I should be looking?

I was under the truck, there's a couple large electrical connectors plugged into what looks like a box, the bottom of that box was a little damp, filter itself seems dry, but you know how diesel is once you get it on one finger your whole hand smells like it so it's hard to tell.

Any ideas where I should look before I call the dealer and go on a rant?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

drive it up here and I will take a looksie

Its prolly just residule from the filter change, I would check the drain tube to see if there is any dripping from that and if so then open and close the drain valve a few times to insure a good seat, if nothing is dripping then get some simple green and spray the area down good let it soak for 10 minutes then rinse off with a garden hose (no high pressure)

Old 10-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I got under the truck today now that the weather's a little better... there's no fuel coming from the filter/drain, there seems to be some dampness on some grey thing that's up on the front of the motor near the gharge pipe that comes off the intercooler towards the intake elbow. Whatever it is that's showing some signs of dampness, is grey, and up behind the belt, whatever it is isn't driven by a belt, so I have no idea what it is.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Sounds like the A/C compressor. Pic would help.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:57 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'll get a picture tonight. I don't think it's the a/c compressor, could be, but I'm not sure.

I look under the hood of this thing and just scratch my head LOL.

The a/c compressor shouldn't have any diesel on/in/around it though, and the belt isn't running off it...
unless the oil in the compressor smells like diesel

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also... I hope they're not gonna bitch about an aftermarket intake (s&b) on the truck.. I know how some of the dealers will viod the warrenty for anything...

Hopefully if it is the a/c compressor, I hope it's still under warrenty, I knoy have 13K on the truck, seems a little early for that to be going out.

Last edited by jl ws-6; 10-26-2009 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Location appears to be where the high pressure fuel pump is located. If so, you need to wipe it clean and monitor for further leakage.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I went and wiped it all down yesterday, and am going to keep an eye on it, see if any more appears.

It's strange... I never noticed anything until the dealer swapped the fuel filter. I don't know how that could have caused a problem, doesn't make much sense, but anything is possible.

I'll post back after a few days, see if I get any more signs. I didn't have any drip marks in the driveway, or under the truck today at all when I left work, so I don't know.

I'm gonna need fuel tomorrow, I'll fill the truck, and see if I notice any change in the mileage too. if I have all of a sudden lost a whole MPG, then something's got to be causing it, maybe the leak..... that may be one way to tell too if something is going on.

Is the high pressure pump mechanical?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jl ws-6

Is the high pressure pump mechanical?
Yes.