6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Ok guys, I need advice on the cummins side of things :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok guys, I need advice on the cummins side of things :)

I have a good friend at the ranch that really wants a new Dodge. She wants the 6.7 NOT the 5.9 (She's had the 5.9 and it's been GREAT TO her, this is why she wants to go back to dodge). She is adiment on the 6.7 because of the Jake Brake (It does sound cool to have ... ).

The only diesel experience I have is my Duramax which has been wonderful to me.

She's an older lady, will be driving about 15 miles one way to the ranch (55 mph speeds) and drives like an old lady. She's good on maintenance and hauls a few horses time to time.

Does this sound like a good match? So far the freeway speeds seem like they're going to be great for the DPF! I really don't know much about them but I dont want her to get into a nightmare of a truck.

She really didnt want the leather, but, with the leather the seats seem so much more comfortable...are they still comfortable after a few miles?

What kind of mileage do you get? Any special maintenance you should have done on them?
She's looking at a 08 Mega-Cab (DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL HELLO GM?!?! I wish I could have had that!).
She can't decide between the two 3/4 or 1 ton SRW. It doesn't look like she'll gain much versus price on the SRW 1ton over the 3/4 ton. Any big differences between the two or is it like the GM's same running gear just an extra leaf or two to make it one ton (SRW only, I know the dually's have different axles but the same brakes as 3/4's) is it the same w/ the Cummins?

Guys, thanks in advance!

- Jason

Old 10-10-2008, 07:50 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

If I were her, I'd get the one ton w/ the 6 spd manual. That way she won't have to worry about burning up a transmission.

The following users liked this post:
Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for the reply, I thought Dodge had the auto tranny problems behind them? She's 59 years old and this will be the last truck she buys ... She's not excited about a manual

Even though I'm jealous she can row gears and I can't (GM dropped that option, doh...)

Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Any automatic isn't crazy on short towing, especially if it's constantly shifting in and out of overdrive. If she can keep shifted into higher gears, she'll be good to go.

Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Diesel Fan

You're awesome, thank you so much for your reply. If we're towing, we're going for a drive So that'll be ok.

Thank you so much for your response; She asked me what I thought and I told her honestly I don't know, but, i'll ask!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Bombardier
Received 607 Likes on 502 Posts

i've also heard that the 6.7l trucks clog the DPF up fast if they are idled alot....

does she let the truck sit and idle for a long time?

Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Diesel Fan

No, she gets to her destination and stops the vehicle. she kind of lives off the beaten path so the truck would be moving everytime it got driving getting out of her 'neighborhood' area.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 264 Likes on 212 Posts

Only pulling a few horses, like in a 3 horse slant or somethin, and at 55mph none the less, i doubt she will be in and out of OD.. If she plans on leaving it mostly stock, and not BOMBING it out like we all do our trucks, I cant see why she would have any issues with the auto..

Last edited by Oilfield_Mafia; 10-10-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by Oilfield_Mafia
Only pulling a few horses, like in a 3 hors slant or somethin, and at 55mph none the less, i doubt she will be in and out of OD.. If she plans on leaving it mostly stock, and not BOMBING it out like we all do our trucks, I cant see why she would have any issues with the auto..
Thanks man, it sounds like her and this truck will be a great match! I told her I'd 'unplug' it for her and she laughed and told me to keep my hands off or else LOL

Old 10-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Diesel Fan

I'd be worried more about the turbo/emissions than the tranny. Finally got mine out of the shop yesterday and they had to clean the turbo and DFP due to excessve carbon build up (9k miles). This new regen technology is all new and unless you run the heck out of it, can expect to be paying some visits to the dealer. Fuel mileage on mine sucks too (12 city/15 hwy). My dealer said that he can make all my problems go away and will actually install a DPF delete, remove the EGR for about $2,100. I should get about 5 additional MPG and the regen crap goes away. This will only void my emissions warranty and most of that will be sitting in my garage. He will handle the annual state inspections as well. Not trying to discourage you and I am not as knowledeable as some on this site but without modifications I would stay with the 5.9.

Attached Thumbnails Ok guys, I need advice on the cummins side of things :)-texas-dodge.jpg  
Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)

Quick Reply: Ok guys, I need advice on the cummins side of things :)