6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

Ok guys, I need advice on the cummins side of things :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I have to say that I am impressed with the 68RE auto. I had a LBZ Duramax before this truck & this tranny seems to act better than the Allison did ( I was surprised too). As far as the emissions crap goes, she should be fine driving it on the highway. If she just drives around in the city all the time then yes she will have problems. Another thing that makes a big difference on these trucks is what flash the ecm is running. Dodge has had to reprogram the ecm several times since these trucks came out. The latest flash that I am aware of is the AQ flash. I had to have mine reflashed back in June. After the flash I went from an average of 14 mpg to between 16-17, hand calculated. About 2000 miles ago I unplugged the egr motor & am now at 17 riving like I usually do, or if im nice I have gotten to 19 mpg, hand calculated on the highway. I miss the tuneability of my duramax, but like this truck a lot overall. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

The following users liked this post:
Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Benjamin
i've also heard that the 6.7l trucks clog the DPF up fast if they are idled alot....

does she let the truck sit and idle for a long time?
Uhhhhh.......take it all of and get the fooler boxes. Then you'll expierence 22 mpg.

Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by kfarris
I'd be worried more about the turbo/emissions than the tranny. Finally got mine out of the shop yesterday and they had to clean the turbo and DFP due to excessve carbon build up (9k miles). This new regen technology is all new and unless you run the heck out of it, can expect to be paying some visits to the dealer. Fuel mileage on mine sucks too (12 city/15 hwy). My dealer said that he can make all my problems go away and will actually install a DPF delete, remove the EGR for about $2,100. I should get about 5 additional MPG and the regen crap goes away. This will only void my emissions warranty and most of that will be sitting in my garage. He will handle the annual state inspections as well. Not trying to discourage you and I am not as knowledeable as some on this site but without modifications I would stay with the 5.9.
Do the turbo clean yourself and get the H&S DPF delete for 600$ 2100 bucks, man I would of donkey punched that a$$wipe right there!

Attached Thumbnails Ok guys, I need advice on the cummins side of things :)-img_2845.jpg   Ok guys, I need advice on the cummins side of things :)-img_2835.jpg  
Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new 2008 6.7L engines includes few upgraded firmware that is better than what I got on my 2007 truck. But even what I got has been decent to me. I say, tell her to go for it. I had one sensor go bad and my filter filled up. But it was easy to clean the whole exhaust system.

About the auto trany 68AER : It is one of the best ones out there now. It is better than the Alison on Chevy's.

Also, she always can shift the trany to 5th gear if she is not going faster than 55MPH, in order to get the RPM up and clean up the soot in the DPF.

Jasondt2001 (10-13-2008)
Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys so much, this sounds like a perfect match for her! She's all excited and shopping around now! LOL

I'm really surprised w/ the tranny being I drive the Dmax Alli combo - Good for them! I always liked the Cummins but was afraid of the auto trans, I'm glad they got it together and hope they do GREAT with it!

Thank you all again, you've really helped me! Now I just have to convince her to let ME play with it...

( I love this forum and all the smileys! The people are cool too though! )

Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm not sure this has been pointed out but the new cummins is not, i repeat not a grocery getter. it must be worked or it will be problematic. the DPF uses 13L of fuel on each regen that it will do should it not reach operating temperature for a period of time - which unfortunately I don't have the spec on. Anyway, short hauling is not a good thing with this motor. If she is pulling that load she shouldn't have a problem but then again, I may be wrong.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Wyatt; You are correct on that. Short distance driving is equal to asking for problems. This is a work truck, it is not meant to be a Sunday truck!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MRowsh
Wyatt; You are correct on that. Short distance driving is equal to asking for problems. This is a work truck, it is not meant to be a Sunday truck!!!!!
well ? i think she'll love the truck alot more if she get's rid of the emissions gear(dpf,egr,egr cooler) and depending where she is put a engine/cab heater in cause she's a gurl ans well i recommend that every diesel has one? but thats me ,,she'll be fine and love her truck,cause i do love my truck espeacialy after i did all that ,,,i get awsome fuel econemy and for my power wow i love this blue demon,and for the i'll refrase that for buddy a few threads back a "68rfe" it's awsome to for what power i am running now ?? now of coarse if i want more power i will upgrade my tranny for that reason ?? but for now its gggrreat ?? buddy tell her to get one and do the deletes and she'll have no worries ???