6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

P0020, P0021???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 85 Likes on 63 Posts
Default P0020, P0021???

I got three codes the other day, and I'm not sure what two of them are. P0020 and P0021, I have no clue about. Anybody else know?
I also got P061A, and I know what that one is.. but I'm curious as to why it would throw three codes at the same time when all I did was turn my high idle on to let the truck warm up. That's the second time it's thrown the P061A when I turned the high idle on. As soon as I hit the set button, the check engine light came on, so I shut it down and brought the codes up. I'm going to take it to the shop either tomorrow or Monday, but was just curious if anybody here might know what caused it.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 07-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 764 Likes on 627 Posts

Is it fixed yet?

Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Diesel Wrench

It's not fixed yet, but on top of that, in a separate incident, I got the jackpot list of codes. Started off to work one day, got a check engine light, so I pull over, shut it down, and pull the codes.. The two previously mentioned codes were there, along with a P061A, P021A, and the "it's time for a new turbo" P2262. I wrote all the codes down, went to the dealer the next day, and told them about it. They put me on the list to get my truck in for a new turbo and to get all the EGR crap cleaned. The nice thing about it, is they didn't argue with me about it. They're also going to drill and tap my housing for a pyrometer while it's there. (no charge for it either) As much as I have badmouthed dealerships in the past, these guys are changing the way I think about them.
I had to put it in the shop a while back to have the 02 sensor module replaced on a recall, and also a flash update. Total time it spent in the shop was a hair under an hour. When I put it in the shop to have the turbo done, I'll even get a rental car to thrash on their nickel. Too bad I couldn't talk them into letting me have a new Challenger for a few days.
Overall though, I haven't had any problems to speak of with the truck. The only times it's been in the shop have been for the 02 sensor, and two flashes. I'll post up how everything went when I get it done.
JB

Old 08-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 332 Likes on 316 Posts

It's good to hear about a dealership that doesn't try to take advantage of custermers.I've been going to a dealership to get my truck serviced for a few years know and i havn't had any problems with them.Did you know that you could look up what codes are for on this site.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Diesel Wrench

They have been very good to me, so I can't complain. As for looking the codes up here, I tried that before I posted and couldn't get it to work for me. I think it was settings on my end though.
JB

Old 08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ETX,
What dealer are you using? I'm in Mineola and seem to need to explore using a different dealership.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the codes that you have mentioned deals with your exhaust system to include the DPF and the turbo itself. They are all packed with soot.
The possible cause is the 4 sensors that are in your exhaust system. When they go bad, everything goes down to hell. If yours is a late model 2008, you should already have the turbo with the cleaning post. Otherwise, they have to drill and tap your turbo for a cleaning port.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Diesel Wrench

a1953mdl I'm using Jack O'Diamonds in Longview. They are at the corner of Cotton St. and Spur 63.

MRowsh, Mine is an earlier model, so I don't have the cleanout port in mine. That should all be taken care of shortly. I'm scheduled to put it in the shop this week. Last check, there were 10 trucks ahead of me.
Mine still runs ok, but it's not running as strong as I know it should. Luckily it hasn't gone into limp mode. I still have yet to see anything in the overhead pertaining to the DPF though, and my highway mileage is still about the same. Don't even get me started on intown mileage.
I'll post back up once I get it out of the shop and let everybody know how things went.
JB

Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like to clean the whole thing completly before the appointment. Go on a long drive, if you got the automatic transmission, put it on 4th gear and drive at 55 MPH for about 30 or 40 minutes. It will clean those darn things so good.

I got my truck back on last thursday. I did not want them to install the damn port on my turbo, and I got my wish. They worked with me, the master mechanic is sort of a friend. I sure did not like that idea, specially soon I will be using Smarty and hopefully all these problems will be solved.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Diesel Wrench

It gets driven for 30 minutes plus at highway speeds at least once a week. One thing I'm curious about is where the cleanout port is drilled and tapped. My thinking was to have it double as a thermocouple port for a pyro gauge if possible.
Have you heard anything more on the Smarty for the 6.7? I'm very interested in one when they become available.
JB