6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

What issues have you had with your 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great question...still mad about my 6.7.

Had an 2011 w/ 6.7 HO, replaced 4 O2 sensors, 2 electronic throttle controls, 1 ECU, one wiring harness, all before 22K miles. The truck would flash an ETC warning light and die (completely stall...dead) starting from intersections, almost hit twice...turned out to be a problem with the wiring harness that Dodge didn't want to fix but the dealer replaced the part anyway.

Other than the minor issue of it being at the dealer all the time, the fuel economy was horrible. 8.9 MPG towing a 11,000 pound trailer at ~65 mph...in town and unloaded a consistent 12.5, on the highway unloaded best of 15.

Last straw was the trailer brakes, they grabbed even at 0 gain, replaced 2 factory controllers, Dodge said it "was designed that way" couldn't tow in the winter (this is fixed in the 2012's by the way). Sold the POS and bought an 04.5 last month...lost my shirt on that deal...thanks Dodge!

I will say that it was the most comfortable POS I've ever owned, loved the 6 speed, exhaust brake, the heated/cooled seats and when it ran it pulled like a mother. Too bad it didn't run consistently.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Default cold air intake

i recently installed an S&B cold air intake on my 2010 dodge 3500, After installation the check engin light came on and message read exhaust filter serive, exhaust filter 90% full..so in the meantinme i put the stock box back on, in order to reduced the flow back to stock, the enging light stayed on but the truckis running fine. Where should i go from here and will the truck be fine for a couple weeks until i purchse new exhaust and programmer?

Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by burch8
i recently installed an S&B cold air intake on my 2010 dodge 3500, After installation the check engin light came on and message read exhaust filter serive, exhaust filter 90% full..so in the meantinme i put the stock box back on, in order to reduced the flow back to stock, the enging light stayed on but the truckis running fine. Where should i go from here and will the truck be fine for a couple weeks until i purchse new exhaust and programmer?
i think you will be fine.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by diesel pap
i think you will be fine.
is there any quick fixes to possibly get the check engine light off?

Old 12-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

not that i know of without a tuner or the dealer

Old 12-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

cultch

Old 12-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default engine light we don't need no stinking engine light

my light went on right after my dealer voided my warranty for having a "non-standard transmission pan"at 17k and stayed off and on for 50k, the dinging made me nuts at times. moved out of WA to CO and dinger still kept coming off and on. did the deletes and added a black maxx at 30k the dinger just kept coming back, download after download, mod after mod. Finally got rid of the cheapo USB that came with black maxx, got a kodak reader and download unit, did a full reload of software and I ain't seen that old sea witch since! truck runs better, dinger has died and the old 2008 is like a kid without a diaper since takin all the factory garbage off.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Diesel Fan

I just went for a little drive and I saw lots of blues smoke while I was cruising down the road and my exhaust brake quite working and the truck isnt building boost btw it still has dpf/egr in place

Old 12-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Oh man..I know exactly what happened. This also happened to me when I thought my Smarty would be shipped to me with the ME update already on it......stupid girl......anyways. Said the same thing and finally went into limp mode which is probably whats happening to you. The smoke is from your truck trying to start a regen because your truck thinks the DPF is full or getting full. As soon as you get your tuner (I recommend H&S), it will all go away. i have had both a Smarty and a Mini Maxx. The Smarty was returned.
Anyways, sorry to ADHD on you.......your just dumping and dumping fuel right now i HAD to drive mine like that for a little bit until I could get the ME update and get it installed. If you do happen to go with a Smarty let me know and I will email you the ME Update Hope this helps!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

yeah...you are definitely in limp mode....sorry man..... Ive been there and it smells horrible!!!! I guarantee you wont have too many people tailgating you!!!!!

Last edited by Lady 10 Lug; 12-28-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Yea the truck lost a lot of its get up but its still under warranty so I just decided to take it to the dealership

Quick Reply: What issues have you had with your 6.7