5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Variable Engine Knock

Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Variable Engine Knock

I know there are many threads about knocking so bear with me.
I never had a knock until I replaced all injectors. I did not go with stock injectors, I bumped it up a bit (+50 - 70 I think). I also run an Quadzilla chip with pillar display for easy level setting. After the injectors were replaced, and valves all set, I noticed a slight knocking. Its funny how some guys say its nothing to worry about and others are rebuilding motors. Anyway, after running for a few months now, I've noticed the knocking is getting louder. There is no knocking at idle or with decent acceleration (as far as I can tell). The motor also seems to start knocking the warmer it gets. Its really noticeable at low rpm while trying to cruise around 40-50 mph. I don't notice it when running down the interstate at 70, but after running for a while on the interstate, and then exiting into town, look out - it is really noticeable, but again only around 40 - 50 mph. Don't get me wrong though, if the truck is warm, it will also knock while slowly accelerating from a stop (but again, it I step on it, it won't knock). I also noticed for a while that if I shut down the chip, thereby decreasing fuel line pressure, that seemed to help but now, for some reason it doesn't seem to help as much any more. The problem definitely seems to be getting worse. I am also running Amsoil (I did not notice any change in the knocking when Amsoil was first put in but now that I have maybe 2000 miles on that oil, that maybe it is contributing to the problem?). I know I have written a book here but I figured it was necessary. I am at 95k miles. Please help. My initial feeling is that its an oil pressure problem because of the behavior I have described however the knocking again did not start until I put the larger injectors in. Should I just trade it in I planned on keeping this truck for the long run so a quick, inexpensive cure would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tomchase; 06-27-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling