5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if i did get the smarty, which one smarty would be the best to get?? And all i was really wanting to do was get a smarty and get intake and exhaust.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by H.R.D
This mentality is what gives us True Diesel Folk a bad name.
And what makes a true diesel folk? enlighten me

Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Someone who knows that overfueling a daily driven truck just to look cool is dumb.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also, I agree on the Smarty. Smarty S-06 is what you would want. The only other tuner id go with would be an Edge. A Smarty tuner is not a shift on the fly style tuner. It also doesnt come with guages but the tunes are a little bit better thean the edge and you have more control. If it was me personally, I would get the Edge since its easier to play with, comes with a guage monitor, and since your just doing the basics. Id go with a AFE stage 2 intake and a MBRP 4in turbo back exhaust too. Just my .02

Last edited by vcustoms86; 09-08-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following 2 users liked this post by vcustoms86:
H.R.D (09-08-2011), Nutty Jeeps (09-10-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Or he could build some good power with EFI Live.....but then there's that "smoke" thing.

The following users liked this post:
H.R.D (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by Captain Call
Or he could build some good power with EFI Live.....but then there's that "smoke" thing.
I forgot about EFI Live now. That would depend on how confident he feels doing that. We all know smoke is going to happen at some point. Its just getting to that point properly and with minimal longterm effects on the engine that i was trying to convey.

The following users liked this post:
H.R.D (09-08-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by vcustoms86
Someone who knows that overfueling a daily driven truck just to look cool is dumb.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also, I agree on the Smarty. Smarty S-06 is what you would want. The only other tuner id go with would be an Edge. A Smarty tuner is not a shift on the fly style tuner. It also doesnt come with guages but the tunes are a little bit better thean the edge and you have more control. If it was me personally, I would get the Edge since its easier to play with, comes with a guage monitor, and since your just doing the basics. Id go with a AFE stage 2 intake and a MBRP 4in turbo back exhaust too. Just my .02
okay thank you. i liked the edge CTS, i looked them up last night actually. but is the edge hard to install? or would i have to have someone install it?? im looking for good mpg too.. has some power when i need it cause i pull cattle, and hay...

Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by diesel dunk
okay thank you. i liked the edge CTS, i looked them up last night actually. but is the edge hard to install? or would i have to have someone install it?? im looking for good mpg too.. has some power when i need it cause i pull cattle, and hay...
If you are using the programmer to over fuel the truck (i.e. Using it just to get smoke.) you'll hurt your MPG's, but if you tune it right and use it to make power, then your MPG's will increase.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Diesel Wrench

Originally Posted by diesel dunk
The hardest part will be tapping your manifold to install your egt probe but there is plenty of us that can walk you through it so no worries. You will get good mpgs out of it aslong as you dont turn it all the way up. If you going to be pulling hay and livestock, i would definitley get the Edge since you will need to watch you EGT's. Air intake and exhaust are easy to install.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by vcustoms86
The hardest part will be tapping your manifold to install your egt probe but there is plenty of us that can walk you through it so no worries. You will get good mpgs out of it aslong as you dont turn it all the way up. If you going to be pulling hay and livestock, i would definitley get the Edge since you will need to watch you EGT's. Air intake and exhaust are easy to install.

i was looking at the AFE stage 2 intake and there are like 3 different kinds of stage 2, whci one would be the best to choice?

and i will mostly have my edge in the lowest as possible unless im hauling...

Old 09-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Diesel Wrench

AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System with Pro 5R Filter PN: 54-11342-1. IS what Im running on my 07. As far running it on the lowest tune, that might not be the best MPG setting. Even though all these tuners come with a "MPG" Tune, ive rarely seen where the truck gets the best MPGs on that tune. Like on my 24v, I get the best if I run my Edge on level 5, the highest but on my 07 where I have my H&S Tuner, I run it on the 2nd tune. The thing with tuners is you have to find the tune that works best for YOUR truck. You have to find that happy spot where the engine is working the least but not being over fueled. When your pulling is when you want to tune it DOWN!
The more fuel you add, the higher your EGTs, the faster you melt the motor. I never let mine get over 1400 F'. I rarely push it passed 1300. If there is any acroymns Ive used that you dont know, just let me know and ill explain. Another thing with the Edge is you can use its trans temp sensor feature if your running an automatic. That way you can see how hot your tranny is getting while pulling.

Quick Reply: lots of questions