5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Time To Build The 48re

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Time To Build The 48re

I'm sure I'm beating the hell out of a completely dead and dismembered horse, but I need to get my post count up to sell some parts and this is the only thing I would really like to discuss and have your opinions on right now

So I'm running an 04.5 auto truck. real basic. It's a 4x4 w/ 37" tires, afe intake, cat delete w/ a banks monster muffler and a juice w/ attitude. I tow up to 12k lbs w/ the truck but normally just 8k.

I've been talking to a few mfg's and read a pile of builds and reviews but I still haven't made up my mind about what I want or need.

I don't have any major power upgrades planned so I don't want to do a full blown trans build.

I was thinking torque converter and valve body... preferably whichever brand works best together. Tripple disk pref.

I like the idea of DTT's stuff, Dunrite has good words on the page, a local company (sacramento) P and D has a good tripple. Always the tried at true ATS.

What works the best in your experience. Not sure if this is a argumentative site like others I'm on so take it easy

thanks
Phil

Old 01-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts
Old 01-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

We are right here in Sacramento . . . . . . . . . .

I'll shoot you a PM.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyneck
Not sure if this is a argumentative site like others I'm on so take it easy

thanks
Phil

yer in good hands here Phil.....lotta good peeps that are here to help

the arguing comment is funny though heheheheheeeeeee

Old 01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyneck

Always the tried at true ATS.
Don't you mean tried and broken ?
I spent some time running the install shop at a well known diesel shop that was an ATS dealer...about 50% of the trans from them we installed didn't work at all or didn't work right right out of the crate.
Even got a "dyno tested" Allison one time with NO SOLENOIDS in it. LOL

Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks for the info guys. replied to PMs. Kinda nice when people don't give ya crap for asking a question

Ya know I've heard mostly good about ats but ya never know who's saying what with what motive behind it I guess

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no motive...I have ATS parts on my truck now. I'm just telling you what happened when I was in the aftermarket diesel industry....at the shop I worked in.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phil you didnt get the right answer from pirate

xtrm-s10

Old 02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Diesel Fan

pirate... answer? BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Diesel Fan

I finally got some parts in this turd.

Forever ago I bought a BD t/c and valve body. Just the low stall 450- hp model. I bought BD because my distributor had it in stock and got a smokin deal.

I was planning on slapping it in there right away but had a customer's rig on the lift. Then another, then another..... every time I went to do it I got busier. Mind you my trans still worked fine I just wanted to get to it before major failure.

A local friend of a friend Jacob knocked it out for me the other day and from what I can gather it's much better.

It's slower than it was because it pulls from a much lower rpm..... but my around town mileage is so much better I'm up 4mpg on this tank so far. (IE anything not incl t/c full lock) Seems to run a gear higher and pull idle along between 1k-1400 instead of 1700-2k. Really firm when engaging rev and drive..... but the shifting is still smooth. you can feel the down shifts now. I was told I wouldn't like this v/b but from what I can tell it's pretty good. I just hope the rest of the trans holds up until I get a 6spd truck

I'm going to hook up the trailer this weekend and see what it's all about.

Quick Reply: Time To Build The 48re