5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Any Of Ya'll Tried Biodiesel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Of Ya'll Tried Biodiesel?

My truck Hated it. I filled up at the Spinx with it last month. After 2 1/2 tanks of regular diesel the truck is runnin like normal. Dont know if it was an issue with the Edge Juice or what.
My mpg dropped significantly and the truck almost felt like it was skipping during boost.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm a girl!

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

A friend of mine tried it and said he also lost a great deal of MPG and felt a big power loss. I always wanted to try it, I have heard alot of people that were happy with it but I have also heard alot that it turned their truck to crap.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:57 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 319 Likes on 271 Posts

What grade of bio diesel did you use? I've experimented with it myself and didnt like the results. Lose of power and fuel mileage not to mention the poor idling. Then again I've riding in trucks that were tuned to run on bio diesel and they seemed to run ok. The big problem with running bio diesel is that it will leave a film on the inside of your tank. When you run straight diesel again it strips this film off in large particles and sends it through the fuel system.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran all sumer of 2005 on B100. there was about a 3mpg loss and noticeable power loss.

Piggybacking on what DMax said above. But, the opposite. Bio has a cleaning nature to it. If you run it after a few years of dino diesel it'll clean out your fuel system and plug filters.
I'm not familiar with it leaving a residue in the tanks. There is a ton of info available at biodiesel.org

Old 12-24-2007, 12:18 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by Carbon Footprint
I ran all sumer of 2005 on B100. there was about a 3mpg loss and noticeable power loss.

Piggybacking on what DMax said above. But, the opposite. Bio has a cleaning nature to it. If you run it after a few years of dino diesel it'll clean out your fuel system and plug filters.
I'm not familiar with it leaving a residue in the tanks. There is a ton of info available at biodiesel.org
Yes, exactly. I shouldve expounded on that. If you start using bio diesel it leaves a film and that will be stripped off and sent through the fuel system if you go back to straight diesel. If you have been running diesel for a long time and switch to bio diesel it will do the same thing initially.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure what grade it was. Its whatever the spinx stores is using. A friend of mine with an 01 Dodge and Superchip Tried it at the same time and loves it. He said he had a MPG increase, slight power increase, and a decrease in noise.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Site Mascot
Received 940 Likes on 701 Posts

I would run B20 year round if it was available to me.............the lubricity of that is second to none

Old 12-24-2007, 02:37 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by ds11
A friend of mine with an 01 Dodge and Superchip Tried it at the same time and loves it. He said he had a MPG increase, slight power increase, and a decrease in noise.
I think he's pulling your chain. Bio diesel has far less energy than #2 diesel thats why you will see a decrease in power and mileage. It creates about 35% less BTU's per given volume so its far less efficient.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ds11
Im not sure what grade it was. Its whatever the spinx stores is using. A friend of mine with an 01 Dodge and Superchip Tried it at the same time and loves it. He said he had a MPG increase, slight power increase, and a decrease in noise.
If your talking about the Spinx on 85 near BMW, that's B20.
It will be quieter there are less BTU's per gallon of Bio than Dino = less power.
No clue why a chipped truck would feel like it has more power other than changing timing.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its getting to the point that the diesel sites are the best place for disinformation .
There is no film or what ever left by bio diesel .
There is only on grade of bio diesel , but there are different blends , percentages of bio .
The BTU loss is in the single digits , part of what makes bio diesel certifiable as diesel .
Different trucks / fuel system are or are not suggestible for bio , the suggestible the high the % allowed .
At b20 you need lab condition to measure any difference , but in common rail engs you may have quickest bad reactions to running because of the high pressures causing the bio diesel to polymerize .

Quick Reply: Any Of Ya'll Tried Biodiesel?