5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Smoking Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Smoking Issue

Does anybody know why my 06' Megacab would be smoking on startup, followed by running perfectly fine? I cranked it up the other day at work and it seemed to be idling rough, coupled with thick white smoke. After a minute or so there was a small pop sound and it instantly cleaned out and idled fine. This happened to me twice, one morning it smoked for almost three hundred feet after startup before it cleaned itself out. I had just started running B20 about two tanks before. By the way, outside air at startup was about fifty (no coil light) when I started it at work, and about thirty (coil light and cycled heater grid), when it smoked for three hundred feet. I have just changed the fuel filter this past weekend with no recent problems. Not a real emergency situation just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing any damage.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you checked for codes? May have an injector acting up a bit.

The following users liked this post:
jfoose (12-13-2007)
Old 12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I checked codes, no problems there. Just happened a few times. Any other possible culprits?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm not really up on my knowledge on the third gens. Only other guess I have is a malfuntioning grid heater. Not working like it should and that is why you get the rough idle and white smoke. Mine will do this if I get in a hurry and dont wait for it. I usually leave mine idle for a minute or two before I move it and then baby it.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I do the same to mine on startup. I will also cycle the grid twice in extremely cold weather. The time it smoked for three hundred feet it had been idling for about five minutes prior. It would start to smoke and I would raise the idle slightly to stop it, then it would start again after the idle dropped.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:03 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there was a thread with a similar story at dieselram.com I think his injectors went bad, and it snow balled from there.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how do you check for stored codes again?

Old 12-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I use to get white smoke at startup when the truck was new. It would smoke the whole neighborhood out. I was popular to say the least. There was a flash for that problem but the guys who got the flash done experienced poor mileage, loss in power, etc. I never have had mine back to the dealer for anything. Once you start playing the flash game you are in it for the long haul. I started using an additive like Howe's Meaner Kleener and it helped it out tremendously. Now, my truck doesn't smoke at all. I got all of the bad injector, bad fuel pump, etc., etc. comments. I think we are dealing with a diesel. We used to call all of our Cummins in our big trucks and equipment rag burners because of the white/blue smoke all of the time. It's a diesel, we'll have to get used to it. I think once break in time has been met on the clock for the ECU things change and the fueling changes for the third injection event at startup is what I think may be happening although I can't be certain. I know of a few trucks like mine that smoked but no longer do. Injectors don't "fix" themselves so how could it have been an injector. Anyway, I would use an additive no matter what. Especially if you're running B20 I would use something that added at least cetane.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by dalton06
how do you check for stored codes again?
You cycle the key from off to on position three times without starting it. The last cycle you leave it in the on position. In the odo window you will see any codes. If none are present then it will say the word done and go back to the odo display. For some reason on the 06-07 you have to cycle the key a little faster than the 03-05. Don't know why though.

Last edited by staarma; 12-14-2007 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
jfoose (12-21-2007)
Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Hey man!
Havent talked to you in a while!
Why dont you stop by the shop and I'll give ya some assistance!

Old 12-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Lucas, man I'm down in South Cacilaci now. I'm a little on the beer end right now, but I do need to get some info and parts from you. I would stop by, but its a 4 four drive man. I need some info about FASS pumps man. Both me and my brother are in possible need of some FASS info. Send me a private message and I'll get back with you when I'm in the right state of mind.