5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Major issues.. Need help.. 2004 H.O

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major issues.. Need help.. 2004 H.O

This might be a tough read for some if not all but.. I am not very good at writing..
OK... The older my truck gets the more things are going wrong.
I had a similar issue last winter when my fuel lines froze up but this seems a bit different.
The truck has 134K on it and a few weeks ago it started acting up on cold mornings. I would start it to let it warm up. After starting It would run for a few seconds and then shut off. I would start it again and it would run and be ok. Then two weeks ago I was driving on a highway took the exit. I came to a stop, light turned green and I went almost stalling it. It felt like I was in the wrong gear.(I wasnt) Then it did it again a few seconds later and then was fine for a couple of days. Another morning I warmed it up and went to drive it, It kinda puttered and then went.. Did it again and then went... I start to think... Is my lift pump going? I changed the lift pump. Things were fine for a few days and it puttered again..
It has been cold in my area the last few weeks but not that bad. Here is another strange thing... I was trying to fill it up and it wouldnt take the fuel. It kept clicking the fuel nozzle. I knew the tank had room. It took me 10 minutes to get the last gallon or so into it.It wasnt overfilled because it would go down the neck. Started my truck and it only read 3/4 of a tank. My fuel gauge has always been right and never had an issue. Fast forward to today...
It was 9 degrees this morning. The truck started and then shut off... I then started it again.. It missed a beat a few times but stayed running. Warmed up for 5 minutes or so. went to a local store, left it running and then got on the highway. Total running time of about 20 minutes. 10 at idle or high idle and the rest under a load. I was on the highway and it started dying. Gave it gas and it would start to miss. (Or what sounded like a miss) got off the next exit came to a stop. Idling fine. I revved the engine and it was fine.As soon as I put a load on the motor it would start to cut out. I limped it into a parking lot and let it idle and revved the motor a bit for 5 minutes or so. Again... It seemed fine. Soon as I started out putting under a load it did the same thing. I got it another mile down the road and couldn't go any further. Again.. It would idle but it started puttering when giving it gas. Then it stalled.. Its dead and wont start again.. Had to have it towed.
I cant get to it until Monday to check things out.
Does anyone think the fuel lines have frozen again? No check engine lights came on. The fuel not going in the tank also has me concerned. Maybe an indicator of a bigger problem?? Clogged tank? Where would the tank clog? I change my fuel filter every 10K. I run synthetic oil throughout the truck.
Any suggestions what to look at of check??

Old 01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

sounds to me like fuel is gelled up, shouldn't be, but it sounds like it is, i'd get a couple bottles of diesel 911 or the equivalent and go from there

Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

Sounds like the fuel gelled up to me

Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Scott@Alligator
Sounds like the fuel gelled up to me
I was going to put a few gallons of kerosene in it because I knew we were getting more cold weather but I never did because of the fuel filling issue I had.
I need to get the truck warmed up. Not going to be easy this time of year.
When I get to it Monday I am going to try and start it. If it doesn't I am going to pull the fuel filter cap and put some kero in there and see if it starts. I bet it will but that wont solve the problem with the fuel in the tank. If I can get the fuel warmed up and mixed with kero it will be fine if gelling is the issue.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would try to get it in a garage or shop and get a nipco going, try to get it as warm as possible in the garage. Change the fuel filter and get some 911 or use your kerosene. Maybe run a tank of #1 incase the blended fuel isnt blended enough?? This is just what i would try if it were my truck. Keep us posted!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:39 PM

I was able to get to it today.. I pulled th fuel filter. It was frozen and had ice on it. I poured 911 into the cup and filled the rest with kerosene put a new filter in it and closed it back up. I put the rest of the 911 into the tank and about 4 1/2 gallons of kero in the tank. Cranked the engine.. took a bit but it started. It didn't like it but it was running. It ran for a minute or so and then it missed puttered almost stalled but kept going. I let it high idle for 10-15 minutes.
It seemed to run fine on my way home. (About 1/2 hour ride)
Now... The check engine light did come on at some point after it started. Maybe when it was trying to stall. I pulled the code P0088. Max pressure in the rail? I have only cycled twice since then. Gonna drive it and see if the light goes out..
Thanks for the info everyone..

Old 01-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

might want to check that filter again, I know ya just put it in, but at least you will know whats there or isn't there instead of finding out tomorrow morning.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

agree with mikmaze check it again and maybe wouldnt hurt to change it again. also as for the filling up at the fuel station part we have that here everynow and then when its pretty cold the fuel will just keep clicking the lever off. what i found out works easier is if u start running the fuel nozzle really slow and then work it up to full. alot of our stations here dont blend the fuel anymore they just run an additive so its a little bit cheaper. We have had some really cold days lately like today it-12 out right now and i run powerservice 8oz in every tank and have been lucky ive never gelled up. it sounds to me like u were gelled up or starting to.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

yep not only does it sound like you were gelled up sounds like you had some water in the fuel too, just make sure you get enough anti gel in it from now on, it's better to over do it a bit than not have anything and gel up again

Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure vent for fuel tank is open this will choke one really bad JMO