5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Damaged injection pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shut Mouth Damaged injection pump?

Here is my delima... It was about 23 degrees when I left home. Took off and truck was running very sluggish and would surge at about 70. In the first town I came too I put in a new fuel filter, ran alot better, but still cut out at 70 for a sec. About 40 miles later truck surges out and quits. So I assume it is iced up. Buy a bottle of Powerservice 911 put half in tank and mix other half with fuel and put in the fuel filter housing. Wont pick it up so I'm forced to get a can of starting fluid to get it to pick it up (CRINGE). Fuel filter was empty BTW when I went to put in the power service, so I knew it was eithr bad lift pump or ice in the pump. Get truck to fire and hold it at about 2000 RMPS, let it fall back to idle and it is idleing smoothly. I assumed I had cleeared all the ice out of the lines and take off. About 40 miles later it starts to surge again fairly hard and quits on the interstate. A get the top off of the fuel filter and it is still full of fuel. Got it going again with the starting fluid again thinking that it just clogged my line again and needed to get it working. Go again with all my power there and quits again shortly. Towed it off of the interestate and caught a ride home. So what I knew by this point is that my lift pump (stock one, not the auxillary one, but engine mounted one) was more than likely shot. I ordered an Air Dog fuel system after talking to the Cummins shop. According to him injection pump failure is not very common and it is usually just the lift pump, but after thinking long and hard about it, I'm beggining to think I may have damaged the injection pump? I would have rather not kept trying to get it rolling again but The wind was howling, temp was dropping fast and I just wanted to get home! If you guys do beleive it is the injection pump, what parts of the pump usually fail, am I going to be forced to buy a whole new pump, or will the CP3 bag of parts on xdp possibly fix the problem??? What are you guys thinking and what have your expiriences been? Reallly hopin it's just the lift pump!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

i have not seen to many cp3s fail. i think your trouble is in the lift side of things

Old 12-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear! I noticed it was a little sluggish the trip before, but I just assumed bad fuel, theres a station in town that gets some bad fuel about half the time, but in a town of 800 people you don't have many choices.