5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

P2149

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default P2149

I have been getting this code and from what I can find no one has posted how to eliminate it. The first time it happened the truck went into limp mode shutting down the rear injectors. This was the first of July. I used my Smarty to clear the code, checked and used dielectric grease on the injector and other close connections and set it back to stock. The code kept reappearing, but after letting it sit overnight it was fixed. The truck ran fine afterwards.

This month it reappeared with the truck shutting down the rear injectors and I did not have the luxury to let it sit overnight. I ripped the valve cover off and tightened all the connections and rechecked the injector and close connections in addition to removing the ground connections to the batteries. I was amazed to find that it ran fine and I was able to make it where I needed to go.

A few days later it did the same thing after smoking a rice burner on the highway. I figured my injectors were going and ripped the valve cover off again. Reading other posts usually with other codes present; I decided to check the resistance on the injectors and adjust the valve lash while I was in there. I also inspected the connections to the ECM and used dielectric grease on them. FYI: The valve lash was still good @ 108k.

The injector resistance was good and the wires going to the ECM had a few bare spots, which I taped. I removed the silencer ring as well just because it made the truck louder. Not much noise increase, but it is nice to hear the turbo whistle. The truck has been running great ever since.

I will report any future problems on this thread, but I strongly believe the bare spots caused a short, which was the root of all my problems. I hope this helps anyone with this same code.

Last edited by hydroshok; 11-14-2010 at 03:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hydroshok:
jramon85 (11-18-2010), sabortooth (11-14-2010), Silverbullet2005 (07-07-2020)
Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I got the code again with an injector #6 error. Here is the new thread I started about it (https://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-li...tml#post669359). I'd like to know if anyone else has/had this issue because it is annoying that because someone didn't put my truck together properly; I have to replace injectors.