5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

2004.5 dodge 4x4 stock very hard to start. crank and prime crank and prime finally it starts. runs great good fuel mileage no loss of power new lift pump passed cylinder tests cp3 pump building 20000 psi. i was told maybe sucking air or injector any sugestions

Old 09-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

What is the rail pressure at idle? It sounds like worn injectors, but...

You make the statement "builds to 20000 psi"...I can only assume that's driving down the road? You should be about 6kpsi at idle and around 20k at 2500rpm (or there about).

Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM

i'm not sure i had a mechanic run the tests and he said the pumps were building the right pressures. But the only reason he said it was an injector was because when he reved it up it took a long time to idle down. I know a little about these trucks but probably just enough to get me into trouble. So i was just kinda asking for a second opinion. Would it staying reved up tell anything thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ksmith
i'm not sure i had a mechanic run the tests and he said the pumps were building the right pressures. But the only reason he said it was an injector was because when he reved it up it took a long time to idle down. I know a little about these trucks but probably just enough to get me into trouble. So i was just kinda asking for a second opinion. Would it staying reved up tell anything thanks

How long does the idle hang? It taking a moment to return to idle from a rev is normal for the common rail as the rail pressure takes a moment to bleed off. Typically bad injectors are just the opposite, they "leak" and that causes rail pressure to NOT build.

If your seeing 20kpsi all the time, then most likely the Fuel Control Actuator (FCA) on the CP3 is faulty.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 PM

It probably takes 5-6 seconds to idle down. I'm pretty sure the pressure was building as he reved it up. I dont think it was 20kpsi all the time. He really didnt show me anything I was just kinda looking over his shoulder. He was supposed to be a really good mechanic but not sure how much i trust him. He was recomended dont know him personally. Gonna take it to the dodge house and get diag. on it i'll let you know thanks for everything...

Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

When you say prime what do you mean? CR are self priming! The rev hang is totally normal! How many miles on it? Hard to start is a common clue that your injectors are worn out! When you replace them don't forget to install a 2 micron pre CP-3 filter!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM

two new batteries that was it one was shorting out and wasnt sending the correct voltage from what they told me. They said it wasn't cranking fast enough to build pressure. Sounds funny to me but havent had a problem with it since. whatever if that is all that is wrong with it it was a cheap fix for now.....

Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Batteries can mess these engines all up seen it happen b4 there was enough there to crank it but it would not run. Got a good charge on it and she purred.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

It is always the little things that get over looked! It is not easy to diagnose a problem on a vehicle unseen.