5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Tire vibration or near death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire vibration or near death wobble

I have gone through and replaced or upgraded quite a few of my suspension parts but I am beginnig to beleive the only way to resolve my annoying tire vibration is to replace with a load range E?

My pickup is a 2007 5.9l that is a 4dr quadcab 3500 srw. The tires are a BFG LT315/70 R17. They are my 2nd set. I 1st noticed the problem when I 1st put these tires on. I related it to difficulty in balancing the tires. Although, I did end up replacing from Carli the trackbar, adjustable endlinks and their upper and lower balljoints. I even got a DSS steering stabilizer and a Borgman steering shaft. Still the vibration remained. I also ended up purchasing King 2.5 shocks with bumpstops from Thuren Fabrication. The ride improved tremendously and no longer bottom out on the shocks anymore. I also have a King 2.5 steering stabilizer. Lastly, I am using Concentric wheel balancers. Still, I have this front end vibration with the tires that happens between 55 and 70. Usually, the vibration is intermittant and somewhat depends on the smoothness of the road. A good freshly poured asphalt road-no vibration. Get on one that has bumps or irregularity and the vribration is present and then smoothes out when the road smoothes out.

I would be very appreciative if anyone thinks they have a suggestion that can make this disappear. I am wondering if its actually these tires being they are a load range D?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds to me like you need an ever so slight wheel alignment. as the road grip changes the tires are fighting over which one is going to go straight.
are your tires starting to speed cup at all?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM

No, there hasn't been any cupping or any unusal wear on the tires. I rotate them usually about every 4000 miles. I had the alignment done about 2 months ago and it still runs straight. It actually began with the 1st set of these tires. I thought I was able to upgrade some components to get rid of or compensate for the situation.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Your load range has absolutly nothing to do with a vibration, I would suggest that you try having them balanced somewhere else, might be a problem with equipment or personell. The last set I bought I had balanced at a Firestone store they had the newest machine out as far as balancing, I think it was called Road force or somthing like that, it was supposed to simulate the tire being on a vehicle going down the road.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Ok, I'll give it a try. I did get a suggestion from a store that didn't have the type but did recommend a tire balancer describing what you suggested. I thought it had a brand name called Hunter. The situation occurs between 55 and 70 mph. At times, its intermittant. If I'm on a brand new fresh paved road, I hardely ever notice it.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Yes the machine is made by Hunter and is called Road Force Balancing. The fact that your problem only exists on rougher roads leads me to believe it's somthing with your frontend or suspension though.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:03 PM

I've noticed that the situation occurs right around 65 mph on stretches of road that are maybe uneven or not as smooth as they once were. From there and increasing the speed the vibration is steady or decreases.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get rid of this...(I am using Concentric wheel balancers) its not helping your situation at all... lastly look at the bolts on your trackbar... and make sure they are super tight...

Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Diesel Fan

is this truck a 4 wheel drive?
if so have you checked the universal joints behind each hub?
and on that note have you checked all your universal joints. u joints can send some very weird feelings through a truck

Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Diesel Fan

had the same problem right axel u joint was bad

Quick Reply: Tire vibration or near death wobble