5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

maintenance and add on questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maintenance and add on questions

-can anybody tell me where the cheapest place to either buy a stack kit or have one made. are there any big rig shops around okc that bend tubing?
-any advice on cold air intakes? most bang for my buck?
-i just got my 06 cummins dually with 115k miles on it. like a dipshit i didn't check out the fluids before i bought it because i ASSumed that the dealership had serviced it. WRONG! after driving it for about two days i checked the oil. it was black but not low. so i ran some bg 109 in it per the instruction on the jug. then changed my oil and filter and put in a quart of bg DOC. i picked up a fuel and air filter while i was at cummins southern plains so i went to change my air filter and it was solid black on the surface of it. (never seen one this dirty before.) then i changed the fuel filter and it was solid black to. i mean like jet black. anyone have any advice. should i be concerned that this could potentially lead to future problems? I enjoy doing the maintenance on my truck. (what very little i know how to do.) so i have no problem changing the oil every 6-7k miles and i change my fuel and air filters every other oil change. i would like to learn how to do more to my and it would certainly help save money which is a big plus for me. is a trans service and rear diff service something that requires any specialty tools or could i fairly simply do it myself. thank you in advance for your responses.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the rears just drain and fil just make sure u have the additive stuff if u have limied slip or posi

Old 08-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks for your response typhoon. did i post this in the wrong spot or something?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Diesel Fan

Check out Diesel Dawg Perfromance, for an intake and stacks.

when i bought my cummins the oil was pretty black, i simple changed it and the fuel filter, and had no problems.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 151 Posts

Welcome to the site timeless!
Just be patient, you asked a lot of questions. It takes it time to respond.
I'm sorry to hear that you found your truck not properly maintained.

For the black fuel filter I can tell you that it may be neglected a long time. Don't worry, as long as the fuel filter is intact it will still filter, but lead to poor performance due to the limited flow.
It is a typical human habbit to squeeze the most out replacement parts. Just re-check it after a couple of thousand miles to be sure the fuel tank is not dirty.

Simply check the air intake for dirt, if you find nothing the filter unit did its work. Nothing to worry about it.
If I were you I would grab the old parts and ask the dealer friendly if the truck was serviced before delivery. If he agrees that the service was done- throw the parts on the desk.... You should get new ones without any problems.If the service was not part of the deal there is not a lot that can be done.Just take it as a lesson for free...

If you want to go deeper into the maintenance procedure get a specific factory service manual for your truck. All needed facts and important intervals and procedures are listed in there. It takes out the calculating factor and you simply know when its time for different tasks.

Last edited by Deezel Stink3r; 08-15-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Diesel Fan

I had the exact same problem with my 07 i just bought with 93 thousand on it in my opinion the air and fuel filters looked as if they had never been changed wouldnt be overly surprised if yours hadnt been either some people are just super lazy about maint. My oil looked like yours to i changed it put about 2k on it changed again and now everything is fine. when i bought the truck it was only gettin around 17 mpg drove it about 400 miles yesterday and after fixin all the little things the previous owner let go i hit as high as 24 mpgs. good luck and congrats on the new ride. oh and you might check your manual before you service your difs mine says no additive required for them so its worth checkin into mines only a year newer

Old 08-18-2010, 03:14 PM
Diesel Fan

The manual for my 07 also said no additive is needed for the difs, maybe 06 is different though. Welsome to the boards there is tons of info and some really helpfull people here for sure

Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks deezel and 830. i ran my truck about 500 miles and checked my oil and it was black already. i didn't like that so i changed the oil and fuel filter again. to try and get some of the built up **** out. apparently it somewhat worked bc the oil didn't immediately turn jet black this time. my truck was also making a knocking sound (not normal diesel knock) as it idled down originally. since the second oil change the knock when you let off the pedal as it idles down has stopped most of the time.