5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

More 48re questions, hoping for tranny guy response

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up white 3014

It sounds like the Dodge dealers stick together. I've had our 2006 back 3 times and Dodge couldn't find the shift problems. I'm glad I didn't let them drive it for a week. I've found out more about the 48RE transmission problems today, than I would have from the dealer. Now that it is out of warrantee, they will find the problem and charge accordingly.
Once it warms up, it starts the shuttle shift or erratic shifting. It's good that is has descent metal in it because part of the time when it does it's (thing) It should break the transfer case or driveline or something.
From the best I can tell, the governor pressure solenoid and transducer/sensor seem to be a common problem with these transmissions. This truck has 37,000 and the transmission pan and filter/screen was amazingly clean. Maybe we should suggest to the Dodge dealers they join a group like this.

any comments??

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

A Cummins Dodge is a great truck, it's a shame the dealers or who-ever won't fix the common problems. I appreciate all the info that is just on this sight....
Thankyou

Last edited by white3014; 08-15-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to my dad about this... I guess he knows some old school chrysler mechanic... The guy says 48re is a rock solid tranny ... But you have to be religious about service on them. seems obvious to me that there are problems with stock solenoids.... I don't know... I'm really quite happy with my ctd in general at this point.. Just wish it'd shift a bit more predictably.

The following users liked this post:
white3014 (08-28-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnyek
I was talking to my dad about this... I guess he knows some old school chrysler mechanic... The guy says 48re is a rock solid tranny ... But you have to be religious about service on them.
I believe that to be true. I also believe the culprit in the service issue is the fundamental nature of running an inefficient filter in a system that often gets ignored just because they do tend to be relatively trouble free under normal conditions. Clutch debris is always shedding, so at some point they start the internal self-destruction process from either loading the filter or oil itself to the point of failure. I added a Maghytec DD pan and an external bypass filter to mitigate this issue, hopefully adding service interval headroom, and extending the overall life of the gearbox.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STEALERSHIPS not Dealerships monkeyball you any which way then can!!!!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 48RE has to be strong, but why like so many other things in todays life, did they have to computerize a transmission that probably would outlive half of us? The 727 and turbo 400 even the 350's lasted and shifted good with little maintenance. got carried away. It's scary to read the service manual about the workings of these transmissions.
unclean electricity from the alternator, reflash the computer, sensors, pressure transducers. It was designed to be a gear box.