5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

More 48re questions, hoping for tranny guy response

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More 48re questions, hoping for tranny guy response

So I wanted a couple more tools in my toolbox, or ammunition for fighting the dealer about my 48re tranny woes. Wanted to explain what I am noticing and see if any of it is normal int he sense that a completely stock truck does it. Also at what level SHOULD dodge fix it?

truck: 2004.5 ram 2500 2wd automatic with approx 37k mi on it. Purchased with 32k mi. Had kickdown band and solenoid pack replaced on tranny about 300mi into my ownership which did nothing to remedy these exact same symptoms.

Whats happening:
Seems like there are two modes of operation currently with my transmission....

Normal - Generally shifts well, feels like torque converter is letting go ok, and 3rd to overdrive seems to shuttle shift (feels like it shifts to overdrive to 3rd to overdrive). The shifts are a bit firm, but what I'd expect and generally pretty acceptable.

Broke - Always when warm, and after driving a while... turning off, and starting back up. Intermittently. Truck will shift very harshly from park to reverse and reverse to drive... hangs on to 1st gear way too long and when it does shift... its harsh... usually a decent BANG to it. Likewise coming to a stop it downshifts and they are pretty harsh as well.

Intermittently the truck wont shift into drive from park or reverse... and I have to actually go back to neutral and then back to drive. (wiggling the shifter doesnt kick it into drive).

I know this tranny is notorious for solenoid and line pressure problems and/or this may be completely normal operation of the transmission.

I just have a few questions about what may be wrong, and/or how to get the dealer to actually do things with it.

1) Do any of these things occur with a brand new completely stock 48re? I need ammo for taking the truck to the dealer... and having them actually do something about it. They took my truck and had an employee drive it for a week (which he was BOUND to experience it a number of times) and yet they say nothing wrong.

2) If not, and they wont fix it, are there some cheap things I can try? I'm at my whits end with this, and cant afford a full blown goerend tranny all in one swoop. I'd be willing to try another solenoid pack, or a shift kit, or a full new valvebody. I cant afford a new tc at the moment =(.

3) Can I install a valvebody without installing a torque converter at the same time?

I just want to be able to tow with confidence... and my dealer is basically skirting the issue. Every time I bring it in, they find something other than the transmission problem, and its 100$ deductible haha.

Appreciate any response what soever, from a dodge mechanic would be even better. Thanks all.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

update, I called the original dealer which did the original transmission work and they said over the phone "...it sounds like it could be a valve body problem..." which is at least "...there is nothing wrong with it..."

Going to drop that off with this very detailed list of symptoms... as well as mention my problem with harder starts when warm.

Last edited by ronnyek; 08-02-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

If it's under warranty I would just push the dissatisfied customer role to the hilt. When I took our '07 in for the solenoid TSB they called and hour later and said to come pick it up, they couldn't find anything wrong after a test drive. I went back in with the TSB in hand and asked if I needed to speak to the service manager, or what. They pulled it back in and did the work.

[Edit] I see it may not be warrantied based on age, unless you have an extended warranty plan.

Last edited by NadirPoint; 08-02-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Diesel Fan

absolutely and absolutely my reason for even asking here... like is it unreasonable to think something is wrong with the transmission if its shifting like it is?

Is it reasonable to expect the truck to get fixed under warranty or should they only fix it if its catastrophic failrue where I cant drive it anymore?

I just dont know.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Diesel Bomber

It is definitely not shifting right and no it is not unresonable.

Is it under warranty, or not? They went to a 3/36 warranty somewhere around the time yours was sold, so like I said, unless you have some kind of extended warranty you are probably SOL.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Diesel Fan

I have an extended warranty... and I've just been through this exact sort of thing with my bmw... I know how dealers like to skirt issues... took me about 15 visits to the dealer to get my bmw problems fixed.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Ok, so after a couple more visits and finally taking to a different dealer, I managed to reproduce the problem with the tech in the car. He, along with chrysler engineers decided I need a new valvebody (as they replaced the kickdown band and solenoid pack already).

I am somehow skeptical that this is really going to do a ton... we'll find out ina bit as they are supposedly on backorder with no estimated date.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Diesel Fan

classic quote frm dealer when i told them I was to be towing a hotrod in 2mo or so...

"...I wouldn't count on having it ready by 2mo..."

Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Diesel Bomber

I'd like to know why they can't get a valvebody in a timely manner. Those things should be pretty common pieces.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Diesel Fan

any chrysler techs care to comment

Old 08-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnyek
any chrysler techs care to comment
Two things you can try is the Borg Warner upgraded governor solenoid and the transmission output speed sensor. They can both contribute to the described intermittent problems. A place to start anyway.

Yes, you can replace the VB with a built one that has a shift kit and higher pressures without replacing the TC. You can save yourself some $$ if you can find a local shop to do a shift kit. If you do a shift kit or VB there some other small parts that need upgraded to make sure it will not break.

Unfortunately, if you want it fixed right its going to be on your dime unless you source the parts and the dealer will install them for you at little cost. Most of us just do what is needed and forget the warranty for little things. Do the trans right and if its a solid unit it will outlast the warranty.