5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Couple questions from a new cummins owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple questions from a new cummins owner

I recently bought a 2004.5 ram 2500, with the HO motor.

What exactly is an airdog, and what is it used for? I've seen a lot of people talking about them and read online about it..... that its a fueling system. Does that mean it just ups fuel that gets sent to the injectors?

Also, are there any little routine maintenance items I should be doing (that I wouldn't just know to, as this is my first diesel?). Like I know I've seen water light on dash when you turn the car on (not like its telling me water is currently in the fuel in the tank).

Am I supposed to be checking/cleaning fuel filters on a regular basis etc?

If water does get into gas, I assume the first thing i'd want to do is shut the engine down? But then what?

Sorry if they are newb questions, I know these engines are strong as hell, just don't want MYSELF to be the weakest link, with lack of knowledge.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

An air dog is a fuel,water,air seperator. i have a FASS which is another brand. it replaces your stock lift pump and allows better fuel flow. also in my case we have had some really bad fuel up here so i got one to help keep my fuel system a little cleaner.i used to change my fuel filter every other oil change but when the water in tank light came on i just drained the fuel bowl and it went right off.Pretty easy to drain its a little yellow lever on the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. as for maintainence I have always changed my oil every 5,000 miles and i run rotella( really bad experience with AMSOIL) some guys do it alot less than that but its up to you. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in and give you some more advice, but welcome to db and keep reading a lot of useful info on this site. and now that you are part of it trust me its an addiction

Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Air dog
Happy Hunting!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

i change oil fuel filter and oil filter and clean my k&n every 3000 and i also run rotella its all iver ever ran in my diesels never tryed anything else, the reason i change the fuel fiter to is cause i like the power increase you get when you have a clean filter and i also run red diesel from time to time since its only 2.49 a gallon but dont tell uncle sam and when my water light comes on i also change the fuel filter then and when ever i have the hood open i also check the whole truck for leaks and things like that axle seals, fuel lines, coolant lines, exhaust, brake lines and so on thats just me tho and i rarly have problems with my truck and i just turned 290,000 miles

Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fass and the airdog fuel preperators I though where for fueling upgrades. I am farly new to diesels also. But I do believe the afermarket lift pumps supply more fuel at a higher posible pressure than the stock. Like I said I am fairly new and may be wrong. But like skinnysfd I change my oil every 5 or 6 thousand depending how busy I get and fuel filter every other oil change. When I change the fuel filter I usually suck the diesel in the bowl out and fill it up with lucas injector cleaner. Don't know if anybody else does that a diesel mecanic friend of mine says thy do that at the shop so I started doen it. I just put on a set of greasable ball joints so I will be checking thoes too. Have fun here I dont spend alot of time here but when I have a question this is the only place I go. Enjoy Tim