5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Well, crap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So along these same lines, my truck currently has about 153,000 miles on it and the injectors are bone stock and have lived to this point. Just like dieseldude I religiously add Lucas additive to every tank of fuel and change the stock fuel filter every 10,000 miles.
I am sure at this point that the injectors are on borrowed time, the question is do I need to buy all new injectors including the bodies even though they currently show no bad signs, just due to mileage. OR should I be able to get away with just tips?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

If I were you at this point, I would just run the filters longer and plan on buying whole new injectors somewhere down the road. Contrary to popular belief, changing fuel filters that often is not necessary. Dodge probably set the interval like that for a couple of reasons. It drums up more service buisness and mitigates the lack of a fuel pressure gauge on the truck.

Filters filter better the longer they are in service, under normal conditions. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge installed?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any gauges installed in the truck....YET. I am hoping to have that issue remedied within the next month or two.

Future plans then include Smarty, injectors(if I am gonna replace them I might as well add some power too..), FASS or Airdog for additional filtration and reliability. At that point I hope to be in the 450-500 rwhp area and plan on staying there as the truck is my daily driver and will have at least another 150,000 plus miles put on it before I even consider replacing it.