5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Well, I Fubared That Up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Well, I Fubared That Up!

All it was, was a simple brake pad change. Out with the old, in with the new. After I extracted a broken caliper bolt (dummy move number 1) I proceeded to put the brake pads on the rotors. No problem there. .Then I go to squeeze the brake plunger back into the caliper, and blamo.. fluid everywhere.. Looks like one of my boots sprung a leak. Crap.. Well.. I rush to the auto parts store, and no such luck, I can't just get the boot, I have to buy an entire caliper $92.00 later at autozone, plus a $50 core for the old one. DAMNIT. Nothing ever goes right. To top it off, the new caliper won't show up till Friday.. so the truck is on jackstands right now, and because of where it is parked, I can't even get in there to do the drivers side until I finish the passenger side. Damnit all.

Scott

Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Sma't Alec!
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseljunkie
Then I go to squeeze the brake plunger back into the caliper, and blamo.. fluid everywhere.. Looks like one of my boots sprung a leak.

Scott
You lost me Scott. The only thing the boots do is act as a dust cover for the pistons. Were did the brake fluid exactly come from? When you pushed the pistons in, how did you do it? Did you crack one of the bleeder screws and forget you did and thats why the fluid shot out. I find it hard to believe you got a bad caliper for as new as your truck is???

Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 AM
FormerVendor
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the boot. On my truck the boot is a dust cover as well. The piston itself could leak around the seal, but not likely.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

odd. as said twice above the seal around the piston is the fluid barrier. i'd bet it's been leaking for a while and collapsing the piston just made you aware of it.

no brake pull or uneven pad wear?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Diesel Wrench

It probably has been leaking for a while, and I just did not know it. The pads were wearing a little uneven, now that I looked at em. All I know is, when I went to collapse the pistons, brake fluid shot out of one of the piston boots. Don't ask me why. Who knows, but hopefully its only one one side, so I don't have to replace the caliper on the other side when I do that..
Scott

Old 09-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Diesel Wrench

Got everything back together, and the brakes bled. Stops great now. My only complaint about the new caliper is the bleeder screw on the new one is metric 10mm, and the factory caliper is 7/16"... Go figure. Oh well. All is well, and the truck is back on the road. Next up is a leveling kit and shocks, as well as some new 35's.
Scott