5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

wont start with out ether

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start with out ether

my 05 3500 wont start without ether. about 3 weeks ago it got down in the teens and it wouldnt start so i gave it a shot of fluid and it started right up. week goes by with no problems and then a week ago it would start as long as it was plugged in with the temp only getting down to 30's and then yesterday it was 50 and plugged in and wouldnt start without ether but would start right up after it had been ran for a bit and today i can shut it down after driving for 5 hours and try to start it and it wont. cranks over like mad wont wont fire with out some starting fluid, doesnt smoke when it does start and runs fine when it is running. I just towed my 5th wheel 500 miles with it and had no problems except starting. turning the key 3 times shows no codes. Fuel filter has been changed and lift pump is working, i drained the fuel bowl and left the valve open, turned key on and fuel started flowing again. anybody have a idea whats wrong with this turd?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

has 70k miles BTW

Last edited by black sheep; 01-25-2010 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ether bad, the truck will become hooked on it.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

I don;t know to much about the common rails but I think this is somethin to do with the pop pressures on the injectors.

BE CAREFUL WITH THAT EITHER. Good way to lose your truck and your life on these trucks. That either hits the grid heater while it's in heat mode and you won't have to worry about starting issues anymore. The trucks don;t have glow plugs like the others, either is like a ticking bomb in these things.

Being as how you haven't had an accident yet I think I would check the heater grid for starters to see if it's working.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

A buddy of mine has a shop and just put a motor in a cr truck that was "hooked" on either. It ended up being a problem with the injectors but the guy kept starting it with either and jacked up a piston or something like that and scored a cyl if I remember right. But the original problem was with the injectors. So yea be real careful with the either

Old 01-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

best way to becareful with it is to just keep it away from a diesel

Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah no **** ether is bad. anybody have any useful info? i had to get it started to drive 500 miles to go to work for 2 weeks. now that im here it can sit until i figure out whats wrong with it. several auto responses from all sites are INJECTORS. I have the money to throw 3k at 6 injectors but if that's not the problem im not going to be real happy. the other auto response from retards is GRID HEATER. the grid heater is not needed when shutting down a fully HOT motor and try to restart it 5 seconds later and it wont start.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 103 Likes on 99 Posts

injectors will be the first place to start most likely this issue there aint nothing cheep about owning a diesel

Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

injectors is what we changed on my buddies truck it would lose its fuel prime when he shut off his truck and we found a leaky injector

Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by black sheep
yeah no **** ether is bad. anybody have any useful info? i had to get it started to drive 500 miles to go to work for 2 weeks. now that im here it can sit until i figure out whats wrong with it. several auto responses from all sites are INJECTORS. I have the money to throw 3k at 6 injectors but if that's not the problem im not going to be real happy. the other auto response from retards is GRID HEATER. the grid heater is not needed when shutting down a fully HOT motor and try to restart it 5 seconds later and it wont start.
We can only respond to the info that you give us and you haven't exactly given us much info to go on but sorry to have wasted your time with all our worthless posts. I've been stuck out a town with a dead truck myself and it sucks, I wish ya luck with it.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting the same response from all sites that seems like a good place to start.

Quick Reply: wont start with out ether