5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Help on Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Cummins

Hey fellas, im quite new to the diesel world. I just got a 5.9 24v cummins 2005. I would like some tips to make my truck have more power, torque, to make it louder, or to make it last longer and run smoother. I would like some tips that even a newbie like me could perform. THANKS!!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

is the truck stock?
what kinda power are you lookin for, and the purpose of the truck etc?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Start reading thru all the posts and you will get a feel of what to do then ask specific questions! Welcome to the diesel world!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Diesel Fan

well first off i would start out with intake and exhaust modifications. the loudest exhuast setup is probably goin to be a five inch down with no cat or muffler. intake i would say get an S&B because they are efficent and cheap. when it comes to getting a dowwnloader for the real ponies you could do something cheaper like the diablo sport like i have which works great. or something more expensive like the smarty. Both of these programmers will put you in your seat but if you turn the power levels up a stock manual or automatic tranny will begin to go downhill. you will also need guages by this point like boost pressure, exhaust temp. and tranny temp (for automatics). you will not want your exhaust temp exceeding 1450 (i dont like mine at 1400 for long amounts of time but thats me). your stock turbo charger can handle 45psi of boost but you will not see those numbers with the diablosport unless you get a boost fooler like the one mad eby quadzilla.(this really helps keep the temps down.) if you have a manual get a good clutch if you want to go all out like most people do i suggest a dual disk clutch from southbend. if you dont plan on high fueling mods and turbo upgrades get a single disk. If you have the 48re automatic then you should get a good solid triple disk torque converter from either gorend or ats which are usually popular choices. A performance valve body would also be a very wise desicion. if you are looking for further modification i would throw in a high ram intake horn by banks or any one of the many designs by ats ,cfm, and BD. with high fueling demands from any programmer i would suggest a new lift pump like a fassfuel or airdog unit ,these pumps will keep your fuel pressure where it should be. if you still crave more you might want injectors depending on what size will determine your next step. high horsepower injectors should be paired in my with a modified cp3 (injection pump) but with even more fuel your going to want to start thinkin about a new turbo to keep things cool with added boost. With more boost like anything around 50- 60 new head studs like arp ones will be needed to prevent from blowing the head gasket. billet transmission components like the input shaft and a new flexplate will be wanted after this much work. good luck sorry i didnt know which tips you necessarilly wanted so i just kinda briefly covered most areas.

Last edited by 06TOWRIG; 01-20-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM

yes everything on it is stock.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Gauges, Exhaust, Intake, Smarty, Trans Upgrade.