5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Going to try to remove injectors myself

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Going to try to remove injectors myself

So Im going to give this a shot just to avoid a bill if I can take them out and put them back myself without messing something out. Any hints, advice, tools, etc.? I really don't want to mess anything else up but if one of my injectors is cracked I have to get if fixed ASAP. Can I just pull them all out and look at them or should I just have someone that knows what they are supposed to look like and stuff do the work? Thanks in advance fellas!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Cleanliness is a real issue with a common rail. Clean the compartment real good if you can before you start.

From DDP's website: http://dynomitediesel.com/uploads/fi...ns_6042009.pdf

Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Damn thats a lot of work but maybe it will be worth it. I just have to make sure I keep track of everything. Thanks bill, always resourceful!!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
BOMBARDIER

It took me around 10 hours to swap nozzles on mine. That included chasing tools, and having to run across town to use a vice. I also made sure I took my time, cause I didn't want an injector failure. MAKE SURE you get new copper washers and o-rings for your injectors. Also, inspect your connector tubes for pitting and corrosion, and replace as necessary.

Your dealing with at least 6,000 lbs fuel pressure at idle, and around 20,000 lbs at WOT, don't want to see you burn up an engine over a $2 o-ring or a $70 connecting tube.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well to be honest I would love to do it but I am nervous about messing something else up so I think I will let my mechanic take a look at it just in case. Im tired of it not running and I don't want to contribute to that.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Give me a call If I can help! I'll be glad to walk you through the steps your worried about!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
BOMBARDIER

Originally Posted by tdiezel
Well to be honest I would love to do it but I am nervous about messing something else up so I think I will let my mechanic take a look at it just in case. Im tired of it not running and I don't want to contribute to that.

He'll be able to kill each injector individually, and do a cylinder contribution test. All 6 might be bad, or just one.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mysterync
Give me a call If I can help! I'll be glad to walk you through the steps your worried about!
I will give you a ring tomorrow sometime and ask some questions. Thank you for offering help. I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by wildbill
He'll be able to kill each injector individually, and do a cylinder contribution test. All 6 might be bad, or just one.
I will just take it to him then cause the oil levels are way to high and I have a feeling fuel is leaking in somewhere. He said that was the most likely cause.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not that hard, it looks complicated but once u get into it its not bad. Go to Dynomite Diesel.com they have step by step clear simple instructions to change injectors and or nozzels. I just did 90 hp nozzels in mine took about 5 hrs in and out just keep it clean and inspect everything real carefull and and u should be fine! Good luck.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who tests CR injtrs in Florida?

I got a problem. Acting like a split nozzle. Fuel drooling out of tail pipe. Runs horrible. Barely idles. I took all inj out tonight. Not sure what I'm looking at. I cant see any holes (of course eyes ain't that great either) Maybe need a bigger magnifying glass..

I'd like to send them (W/Dynomite tips) to someone who knows their $hit.

Any ideas?

kenwahl@tampabay.rr.com

Quick Reply: Going to try to remove injectors myself